Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
Mheagan
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Can i make a diaper waterproof /resistant?

I purchased a few gdiapers from here. I LOVE the fabric, and the fit, but HATE those plastic pouches.

I'm wondering if there is a way to use them without the pouch, and so DS dosent wet through , any ideas?

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

There is some kind of spray on waterproof stuff that covers like cotton Nikky have on them. I don't know what it is called though.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can i make a diaper waterproof /resistant?

You could try those wool doublers. You could lanolinize and put them under the gcloth, or maybe even try sewing some felted wool to make them gathered at the sides, more like the pouch part, if you wanted that.

If you get an old 100% wool sweater and felt it enough, then you wouldn't even need to sew around the perimeter of it to keep it from unravelling....you can just cut it and have a no-sew waterproof layer.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

Walmart in the camping/hunting section ask for the waterproof spray with the orange lid. It will take about 3 thick coats of it, and will be hand wash, but it will be water proof. OR you can look for old gDiapers, they used to be completely waterproof, with an extra layer of protection from the pouch.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:00 AM   #5
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I hated the nylon pouches too. My first thought was ... a shower cap ... they couldn't come up with something better than a shower cap?

If you sew it's super easy to make that pouch out of another material (wool, PUL, Windpro Fleece ...). The toughest part would be finding compatible snaps. You can search "sew a snail shell diaper", but basically you cut a rectangle with rounded corners and sew FOE all the way around.

In time I just got over it and came to love ours.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:12 AM   #6
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbutt Diapers View Post
Walmart in the camping/hunting section ask for the waterproof spray with the orange lid. It will take about 3 thick coats of it, and will be hand wash, but it will be water proof. OR you can look for old gDiapers, they used to be completely waterproof, with an extra layer of protection from the pouch.
Is that the spray I hear that works and not works even on other threads here? I was wondering this too as I wasn't sure if there was something for cracked PUL diapers to reseal them. some things I have read say no resealing and some say the spray works and some say no.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:57 AM   #7
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abunchoflemons

Is that the spray I hear that works and not works even on other threads here? I was wondering this too as I wasn't sure if there was something for cracked PUL diapers to reseal them. some things I have read say no resealing and some say the spray works and some say no.
There are also a lot of questions re: the safety of the spray as it has some scary warnings on it. I would probably skip it for that reason but that is just me.

lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:21 AM   #8
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
There are also a lot of questions re: the safety of the spray as it has some scary warnings on it. I would probably skip it for that reason but that is just me.

Thanks.