Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
jmb162
Registered Users
seller

My son was waist down naked for the first week of potty learning. Then we having been wearing sweats with no undies. We practiced a few times the day we started wearing pants and it took him about a week before he was getting them down with no problems. I still had to help sometimes when he had to really go. He would get them down a little and I would typically step in them and pull him out of them and set him on the potty.

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Tips for getting 2 yo to pull down pants at potty time?

The gerber training pants are easier to get down. Plus, if he's wearing jeans with a snap that's hard too.

I usually ask my parents to buy them some thin elastic waist pants for a while. I think they get them from the Carter's outlet, or target. It's usually warm here, so sweat pants would be too hot. But, those little Garanamals or Carters pants are the perfect weight.

SOmetimes I just let them go commando if they can't manage the underpants.

But, those super awesome boy's underpants are kinda worth all the trouble. I mean what kid doesn't want Super heroes undies? Maybe try a size 4 instead of 4-T.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 01-19-2013 at 04:08 PM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe View Post
I let my potty learners go naked from the waist down until they really have it under control. Once they do pretty well with that we graduate to loose elastic waisted pants with no underwear, so they aren't having to fumble too much.
This. Sone kids get it early (like odd who was 19months) others dont (like mdd who was closer to 3).

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It's my bad. I bought some size 4 at the thrift store that worked well for him while playing around with potty. I thought they were like clothes, ya know kids sizes start at 6. I just figured this out during laundry. So I have like 30 pairs of 4T, and few size 4s and one size 6. The 4s that I thought were stretched 4ts and the 6s work ok. So I have been standing on one end of the 4ts and pulling the other to loosen the elastic. It's made a huge improvement, but he is still managing to wet the back somehow.

I'm ok with no undies and commando, but poor guy just freaks out. Idk if it gets cold or feels weird or what, but I'll try more of that later. He still has the day care setting Monday.

I've also been just standing by as he goes now with the stretched undies, so he can practice getting them down.

I just can't figure why/normal for him to go so much? Tonight it has been every 30 minutes or so. Maybe he thinks it is cool? Likes the praise/clapping?

Last edited by Numommy; 01-19-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
If you aren't opposed, let him go without while at home.

My LOs went without at all for a while, then with loose elastic waist pants and no undies for a while, and THEN then graduated to undies and loose pants. When DS2 started preschool, he went commando (pants no undies) and his teacher was fine with it.
This is why I'm a little nervous for potty learning. Our house is all carpet!
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadmare

This is why I'm a little nervous for potty learning. Our house is all carpet!
Bac out is my potty training friend.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #17
organicmama10
Registered Users
seller
seller

We went commando for a period of time and are now into the pants with no undies. Tried trainers but he thinks they're diapers and will just go in them. Loose elastic or swears work wonders. Easy for him to pull down and up when he's done. Hang in there. It takes awhile but they'll get it.....somehow.
organicmama10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numommy View Post

I just can't figure why/normal for him to go so much? Tonight it has been every 30 minutes or so. Maybe he thinks it is cool? Likes the praise/clapping?
It could be the novelty of practicing a new skill. That said, DS2 was a "perpetual piddler." He went in his diaper very frequently before using the potty and he still has to go more frequently than my other two ever did.

On the elastic stretching, I have heard that if you do it right out of a hot dryer, it stays stretched more.

ETA: And have you tried boxer briefs? (I could never find boxers that little) They have less tightness around the legs than just briefs.