Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
mizzStephylynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
newbie questions

ok, so I have done a lot of research but there are a couple questions I can't seem to find a good answer for, so I am just going to ask them and risk sounding like a complete newb

1. what is a dryer ball? why would one need it?

2. why would one want a wool cover rather than just sticking with the PUL kind? how do they not just leak straight through?

I might ad another question or two later because I have a feeling I am forgetting something.

Advertisement

mizzStephylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Re: newbie questions

1. Dryer balls - sometimes made of wool, sometimes plastic with little spines - bang around in your dryer with your laundry, helping to fluff it. They reportedly make things softer and help them dry faster.

2. PUL, while marketed as breathable, is not really very breathable. The lack of breathability is a problem for some children. My son always got too hot in a car seat while wearing a PUL cover. Also, since the process of urine turning to ammonia is made faster when you increase temperature and decrease air flow, a PUL cover could be to blame when a family encounters a morning diaper that reeks of ammonia, and leaves baby with a painful rash.

Wool is super breathable and almost magic. It's truly hard to believe but wool is water repellant on its own. Then you have lanolin on the wool, which is super water repellant and helps break urine down into soap and water, believe it or not. No you don't get a super soapy cover, I suspect the amount is so minute it's more like what's left after using a baby wipe on skin.

Then even if you start to oversaturate the diaper underneath, so under pressure the moisture tries to get through, wool begins to absorb a bit, continuing to keep clothes dry.

Some wool needs hand washing and lanolizing. I used Imse Vimse machine washable wool covers, which I just washed in Eucalan (a wool wash that re-deposits lanolin).

And strangely enough, wool keeps body temps lowest of any of the water-resistant or waterproof fabrics.

If you aren't up for wool, you can look into fleece. Certain types of poly fleece right against the body can pass wetness through and keep baby feeling dry. Others on the outside layer repel water. Fleece breathes like wool and stays cooler than PUL, it's a touch warmer I think but not a lot, and it's ridiculously durable and easy to care for.

Some great names for fleece are Stacinator, Polar Babies, Emotibums, and Green Acre Designs (breathable Windpro pockets).

Welcome and good luck!
Old 01-20-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: newbie questions

I guess to your second question as I think the other gal answered the other about the dryer ball awesomely...

PUL i think of as a raincoat and except from keeping it off you as a coat would in rain down pour-a diaper it is supposed to help keep in or like cellophane wrap so wetness isn't to escape to the clothes.

Wool is a different type of material that from washing my sweaters don't hold water like cotton shirts and such or even the flannel blankets that you tie don't either. Some just have better luck with this as a solution because like anything else some are allergic to different fabrics not just food. Although I find wool itchy and unsure completely how it wouldn't irritate baby as well as I am not real knowledgeable in different types of cloth diapers as I just have the pockets with PUL.