Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
MaiosameruMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Any suggestions for new washer and dryer?

We are getting a new washer and dryer for tax returns. We want a HE for sure, but we need something better than what we have. Ours is about a 20 year old model, with no wash customization and it takes about 3 long wash cycles in hot hot water. We don't have many dipes in our rotation, and they are starting to get stinky..despite stripping. I just don't think they are getting all the way clean. Any suggestions? Or price range is about 1k-1.5k for both.

Advertisement

MaiosameruMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any suggestions for new washer and dryer?

I don't. Our house came with probably 10 year old HE units. I've wondered if there are HE units with good cloth diaper setups on it... I've been afraid to look.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The LG front loader with steam option was recommended to me by the appliance manager at Best Buy. It's supposed to have really good cleaning power. We bought a Samsung HE top loader, and it did a pretty good job, but water sometimes splashed out over the rim and left a puddle on the floor. We ended up returning it and getting a regular one. The capacity on the HEs is fabulous, though! I'd go to Best Buy or an appliance store and talk to the department head to find out what they think. If you tell them what you want the machine to do, they are usually very helpful.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
Mrs. Shawn
Registered Users
seller

Definitely not a Whirlpool Cabrio. Yes, it has a large capacity, but the loads take forever! I hate it!
Mrs. Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
fuzzynoodle
Registered Users
seller

I had to buy a new washer this summer when our LG HE FL died an early death. I did a ton of research, and discovered that HE top loaders were the way to go for CDs.

We got a Kenmore Elite top loader...and I LOVE IT!!!! Diapers are getting so much cleaner, here is why:

1) Better agitation, more water
2) You can add more water to your wash with the press of a button
3) You can add AN ADDITIONAL 2 extra rinses with the press of a button...no having to run up and down the stairs to add more rinses

Love it, love it, love it!!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not an he lol. Sorry to be a downer but he and cloth diapering do not go together well. An old water hog top loader does a great job on cloth!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
ProudCoastieWife
Registered Users
Formerly: GrimLife
seller

My Mood:

We got a Kenmore Elite HE3T Steam. We, and be we I mean me, LOVE it! I love how much I can fit into! It really is a great option. If you give me your email, I can email you the consumer reports for washers and dryers that my mom scanned and sent to me. That really helped my decision!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I have the largest capacity LG front loader (no steam on the washer) that came with our current house. It has the sanitary cycle, water plus button and you set up to 3 rinses per wash...so a really great FLer. I have had an older FLer, fancy LG HE toploader without an agitator (Most TL HE are lemons! Beware!) and a basic NON-HE toploader in the last 2 years before we moved to our new house.

Yes, that is a lot of washers to try (long story)...my favorite was the basic toploader for cleaning ability...my second favorite being our current LG front loader. The toploader got every load clean even with the maximum wash time within 45 minutes - no additional washes needed and we had one that had an extra rinse option too. I could literally just toss diapers in and come back to them done in 45 min! They always came out spotless too. Our LG does a really great job for an HE machine and definitely does save a bit on utilities mostly because it is so huge (less loads)...but I do have to do 2-3 cycles for diapers (even prefolds). It takes on average about 3 hours to wash diapers.

We may be moving again in about 6 months and DH and I have already decided we will just get a basic toploader. If we can afford it we would totally go for a Speed Queen set! Even our older kids can figure out how to work one, it is super low stress to get stuff clean especially since we still have multiple young kids that get really dirty. That is not always the case with our FLer - I have to push a bazillion buttons for the really dirty stuff. Totally stay clear of HE toploaders though - I learned the hard way (after returning 2 of them!) the way that they get their HE ratings is by making Hot actually be only barely warm and all the other temps cold. So stupid.

Good luck!

Last edited by FernHollow; 01-18-2013 at 07:43 AM.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have an HE TLer that I've been extremely happy with, we've had it for around 3 years with no issues. We have a Fisher Paykel Aquasmart, it came recommended by the appliance guy we talked to (he happened to own the same one and offered to let us call his wife and talk to her...we took his word for it.) It's amazing for diapers (regular laundry, too!) Best feature, in my opinion, is the option to run an HE or a conventional cycle (thus adding a lot more water.) Best of both worlds.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have the whirlpool duet and I love it. My diapers get super clean.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote