Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Why do family member always try to give their opinions.

Why do family member have to be so mean when it comes to us homeschooling? We were at my mil house this weekend and she asked if I had registered the kids for school next year yet. I said no we are still planning on homeschooling. She said that I could not handle it since I will have a new baby and it is just better if they return to the public schools. I am very emotional right now let alone I have extreme morning sickness and her comment just really rubbed me the wrong way. Why can't people just mind their own business.

Advertisement

Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why do family member always try to give their opinions.

I'm sorry they are not supportive. My husband's family is not supportive of us HS'ing and my step-father is downright against it (my mother is very pro-HS'ing as she HS'd my sister.) Fortunately for us, they all just keep their mouths shut about it. They don't even ask my kids the typical "how's school going" or "what are you learning about." And, if I mention something the kids did, they are just silent. They just avoid the whole thing. It's good on one hand, but on the other it is the elephant in the room.

It is frustrating that family can't just support the decisions we feel are best for our own families. Just because it isn't what they would choose doesn't mean it isn't good for us. Plus, even if they wish we would make a different choice, why can't they support us the best the can in what we are doing since we are doing it anyway? Isn't that what we try to do for those we love?

You can do this. I'm doing it this year with 6 who are 7 and under including 5 year old twins and 2 year old twins and a newborn (well, he is 3 months now). You can definitely do this. Don't let her attitude get you down. Prove her wrong.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

If your mil is worried that the new baby will be putting too much on your plate, maybe she should offer to help you out in some way rather than just assuming that what you want isn't going to work. I know that what works for your immediately family is all that matters, but it still stings a little when they're mean about it. I even feel like it hurts sometimes when they don't agree with you despite your reasons.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Prove her wrong.
Love this advice.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Amandamama
Registered Users

We finally had a talk with my MIL.she is no longer allowed basically to discuss school or homeschooling at our house at all. Too many strikes against her. Every time shed be here she would say something negative to the kids (12,10,4,infant) like "you'll never get into college" or " you won't learn anything in high school". Etc.
I'm a friggin certified teacher, public schools suck, and she knows nothing about homeschooling.
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. But she's a ***** anyways.. About most everything. Grr.
Amandamama is offline   Reply With Quote