Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
MommyMissy
Registered Users

Feeling overwhelmed, but really want to do this

Hello. I have been a long time lurker here who has only dabbled in CDing. I am due in 5 weeks with a new LO and really want to successfully CD this time. With my last baby, I CD'd off and on and built up a decent stash (I think). What advice do you have for me to make it work? A lot of the stash is fairly girly and we don't know what we are having this time so that complicates things a bit, but I am trying to get prepared and I don't know where to start and what else I may need. Most of what I have was bought used here on FSOT. I feel like I have forgotten everything that I had learned while cloth diapering my daughter and don't even really know what I have or how to use it. I am hoping some of it just comes back to me, but I would love any advice or encouragement you could give me. Thanks so much!

Advertisement

MommyMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
tabbytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The best advice i got was Take it one day (or one diaper ) at a time.
tabbytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
ashleyg103
Registered Users

Re: Feeling overwhelmed, but really want to do this

Def. take it one day at a time and stick with it. I was nervous when I made the switch with my then 4 month old twins, and worried about spending the money on cloth and hating it/it being too hard but now they are 7 months old and Im soooo happy I made the switch, I love it and couldnt imagine ever putting them back in disposables. When we were away over the holidays I couldnt wait to get back home so I could use cloth! And its ok if you need to take a break from cloth a lot of people take a few days off then start back up again!
ashleyg103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My advice would be to relax, take it slow, also it doesn't have to be all or nothing, if you want to do sposies on outings do it, you might feel more confident to try cloth later on. I always looked at it as just another thing I signed up for when I had a baby, I have to do her laundry, change her diaper, feed her, sterilize bottles and wash her diapers. I made it as normal a part of baby care as anything else. It really helped me. GL and congrats on the LO!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

What all do you have in your stash?

I'll be honest, those first few weeks ARE overwhelming, especially on a newbie. I started CDing my oldest when she was a few months old and it felt like NOTHING was working. It took a couple of weeks to get to know the diapers themselves and of course realizing cloth had to be changed more often. Then our 2nd child came and it was less overwhelming, but we still went through our fair share of disposables while getting situated with a new baby. By the time the 3rd came along it was no problem, though I pull out disposables more often than I care to admit because life is just so much busier.

Yep, one diaper at a time. Don't beat yourself up if you use disposables for one change or a day, week, month. It's not a big deal.

Use Tide and lots of it, don't fear the occassional bleach, don't even attempt an outing with cloth till you get to know your diapers, prefolds and covers rarely fail, a good AIO is nice for hectic times, dads don't need special diapers, bulk generally doesn't bother babies, nor does wetness, I love fleece liners, though, and just enjoy the ride.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
texascellomom
Registered Users
seller

I agree with all the mamas above. I love cloth diapers, but I put my LO in paper when we go out or will be away from the house for a long time. I learned with my second to reevaluate my stash. I used proraps successfully with my first, but with my second I am finding a mix of proraps and Flips working really well. I didn't have the courage to try something new the first time and maybe you just need to try a diffrent type of CD to make it through the diapering years with this baby.Good luck!
texascellomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
vansen19
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

consider your hubby: my DH would only use pockets for a long time and only sposies when we went out. after 6 mos or so, he used my prepped padfolded flats in a cover, and only recently we can do cloth out and about (1 year later!).

keep your stash: hold on to different diapers, they will work one month then not the next, but as baby grows and changes, it's less hassle to keep them versus to sell them if you don't need the extra income, know what i mean?

will you CD from hospital or wait til umbil cord falls off? bring clothes with generous fit if CDing from hospital. what types of diapers do you have? try the most-like sposies if CDing becomes overwhelming (AIOs/AI2s/pockets). sooo excited for your newbie! i just remember the first month as a blur so if you need to use sposies so you don't have one more thing to do (wash dirty diapers), allow yourself some grace and do so.

ditto changing CDs more often, 2 hrs at first, then around 3 hrs.

Last edited by vansen19; 01-18-2013 at 09:11 PM.
vansen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
hopeangelmomof5
Registered Users
seller

I highly recommend that you buy enough disposables to last for a month. At the end of that month, you can re-evaluate if you'd like to do another month or if you're feeling up to starting with cloth.

Take it easy, Mama, and be sure and allow yourself time to recover from childbirth.

Congrats!!
hopeangelmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
QuartzandPyrite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My advice would be keep it simple and don't put too much pressure on yourself to do it full time. My journey has been all across the map and I have tried every kind of diaper with my 15 month old, only to realize I just want inserts/prefolds and covers. I still use sposies when we are out and about, especially because the trips out aren't more than a few hours at a time.
I have learned a lot in this little journey, but with the next one due in March I know the simpler the better. Cotton and covers and wash it every other day at the least. not only is it simple in the course of the day, the laundry is simple and the less you have to think about it the more successful you'll be. Good luck! You are definitely in the right place!
QuartzandPyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
MommyMissy
Registered Users

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!! WHAT GREAT ADVICE AND ENCOURAGEMENT!!! I have a large variety of diapers (just posted a critique my stash thread here http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...0#post16182880) I did buy 1 pkg of sposies for the first few weeks so that will help me transition into it. Again thank you so much for all the help! I really feel a lot better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansen19 View Post

will you CD from hospital or wait til umbil cord falls off? bring clothes with generous fit if CDing from hospital. what types of diapers do you have? try the most-like sposies if CDing becomes overwhelming (AIOs/AI2s/pockets). sooo excited for your newbie! i just remember the first month as a blur so if you need to use sposies so you don't have one more thing to do (wash dirty diapers), allow yourself some grace and do so.
Baby will be born at home so I have options in terms of clothing to fit over the CD
MommyMissy is offline   Reply With Quote