Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
Antebellum
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,308
My Mood:
How do USDA home loans work? (another buying a home thread)

I know the rural housing development is for low income families, but has anyone received a USDA home loan what was the process?How was it different from a traditional loan? I am a home buying novice so excuse my ignorance. Thanks for the help. If you would rather PM me thats fine too.

Advertisement

Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
adavieau
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,217
My Mood:
Re: How do USDA home loans work? (another buying a home thread)

We have one, I think the criteria (keep in mind this was 4 years ago) for us were your income had to be less than $75K and the town you were buying the house in had to be considered "rural" (there was an approved list) and it had to be your primary residence. Back when we did it one of the main advantages were you didn't have to pay pmi just a 2% guarantee fee (that could be financed in with the loan) and only had to put 3% down. I think they've reworked the no pmi/guarantee requirement a bit since then though.
adavieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Antebellum
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,308
My Mood:
Re: How do USDA home loans work? (another buying a home thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavieau View Post
We have one, I think the criteria (keep in mind this was 4 years ago) for us were your income had to be less than $75K and the town you were buying the house in had to be considered "rural" (there was an approved list) and it had to be your primary residence. Back when we did it one of the main advantages were you didn't have to pay pmi just a 2% guarantee fee (that could be financed in with the loan) and only had to put 3% down. I think they've reworked the no pmi/guarantee requirement a bit since then though.
How "fantastic" did your credit score have to be?
Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
nmrgrl55
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 278
My Mood:
Re: How do USDA home loans work? (another buying a home thread)

We are looking it to one of these loans and I am pretty sure your credit score needs to be at least 640.
__________________
Sam wife to Tracy mama to Anthony (9) , Nick (7)
Violet 3/12
Check out my Mary Kay on Ebay
nmrgrl55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
Nickel+3's Avatar
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Posts: 4,026
My Mood:
Our scores were 670 and it was a zero down loan
__________________
Nickel - mama to boys D 09 and F 10 and my girl H 12
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Antebellum
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,308
My Mood:
Re: How do USDA home loans work? (another buying a home thread)

Thanks!
Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
silvaheyes's Avatar
silvaheyes
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jennings, LA
Posts: 1,782
My Mood:
Re: How do USDA home loans work? (another buying a home thread)

We have a mortgage through USDA but we didn't apply for the mortgage ourselves. My Mom bought the house in the late 80's under her name and we did an assumption, taking over the mortgage.

From our personal experience STAY AWAY! Sure it's nice that they service low income families but our mortgage literally is not going down. The interest rate is 9% (I'm sure this has to do with the time she originally got the loan). The way ours works is it goes by income, we make a lot of money so our mortgage payment is at the max it can go. However what they do not tell you is they have what they call a 'bucket' and say you don't qualify for the max payment. They take whatever you didn't pay and shove it in there. So our statement says we only owe $29k on the mortgage but in reality it's around $40-50k, my Mom bought the house for $40 something thousand when she originally bought it!

Ask around and see if anyone you know or someone that you know knows someone who has ever paid off their mortgage from USDA because we have NEVER met anyone who has. Our old neighbor (we use the house as rental now) paid off her mortgage 3x and STILL owes on it.

We are refinancing it so hopefully we can get it paid off in 15 years. Between my Mom and us both paying on the mortgage over the years, it's been 22 years.
__________________
Kimberly - Mommy to Morgan (09-11-07) - Dylan (02-10-12)

Last edited by silvaheyes; 01-12-2013 at 05:27 PM.
silvaheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
Antebellum
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,308
My Mood:
Re: How do USDA home loans work? (another buying a home thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvaheyes View Post
We have a mortgage through USDA but we didn't apply for the mortgage ourselves. My Mom bought the house in the late 80's under her name and we did an assumption, taking over the mortgage.

From our personal experience STAY AWAY! Sure it's nice that they service low income families but our mortgage literally is not going down. The interest rate is 9% (I'm sure this has to do with the time she originally got the loan). The way ours works is it goes by income, we make a lot of money so our mortgage payment is at the max it can go. However what they do not tell you is they have what they call a 'bucket' and say you don't qualify for the max payment. They take whatever you didn't pay and shove it in there. So our statement says we only owe $29k on the mortgage but in reality it's around $40-50k, my Mom bought the house for $40 something thousand when she originally bought it!

Ask around and see if anyone you know or someone that you know knows someone who has ever paid off their mortgage from USDA because we have NEVER met anyone who has. Our old neighbor (we use the house as rental now) paid off her mortgage 3x and STILL owes on it.

We are refinancing it so hopefully we can get it paid off in 15 years. Between my Mom and us both paying on the mortgage over the years, it's been 22 years.
how is that legal? Is it just because of the interest rate?
Antebellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
silvaheyes's Avatar
silvaheyes
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jennings, LA
Posts: 1,782
My Mood:
Re: How do USDA home loans work? (another buying a home thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmama View Post
how is that legal? Is it just because of the interest rate?
I'm honestly not sure.. Like I said, on our statement it has $29k that we owe left on the loan but we asked them for the pay off amount and they are sending us the amount by mail. We've asked for it before and there are a ton of extras/fees/etc.
__________________
Kimberly - Mommy to Morgan (09-11-07) - Dylan (02-10-12)
silvaheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
poohbear1208's Avatar
poohbear1208
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 319
We have a rural development loan. It's awesome!! We have 4 kids, so we were able to make up to 123k to qualify. That's entirely dependent on area, so you will have to check into specific counties for income guidelines. Our interest rate is 3.25%. We had zero down as well. The process is very similar to a regular loan, it just takes slightly longer for underwriting. Our whole process from offer to closing was under 90 days. And we don't have the "bucket thing" that someone else referred to. Our loan operates no different than a regular FHA loan.
poohbear1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.