Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tips for keeping the hospital bill down?

I like advil over tylenol for post partum cramping.
Dermoplast spray, a peri bottle....

Those booger suckers from the hospital are the bomb diggity.... if you can't find the exact same ones online or at the pharmacy I would eat the cost of that thing, its the best.

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee View Post
I

Those booger suckers from the hospital are the bomb diggity.... if you can't find the exact same ones online or at the pharmacy I would eat the cost of that thing, its the best.

Totally agree! they last FOREVER
Old 01-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

Such an interesting thread. I have never really thought about what the hospital charges. I also want to point out that just because the hospital charges it, it doesn't mean that is the how much the insurance ends up paying. Kind of like when you go to the Dr... a cash paying patient might have a bill for $100, an insurance company will be charged $125 for the same visit, but the insurance will only pay $60 for that visit. The rest is *written off*. It is such a screwy system and makes has very little rhyme or reason. I work as a pharm tech and it works that way in pharmacy too. If a certain pill costs $0.04 and you get 30 of them for a total of $1.20, the insurance (or self pay customer) will be charged a *usual and customary* charge. The insurance will then tell us how much they are willing to pay and what portion/copay you (the patient) will have. They don't usually match up... We do a lot of cost vs plan pay analysis. It is very, VERY confusing!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Check with hospital about what's included in your room charge. My bill had a per day OB room charge which included meals and all the pads, disposables, baby items etc.

I was charged for all meds, inc OTC stuff like Advil.

I agree to check bill carefully. I found out I was charged $4 for mineral oil used by mw. But what are you going to do?
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
jamiejo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy View Post
Check with hospital about what's included in your room charge. My bill had a per day OB room charge which included meals and all the pads, disposables, baby items etc.

I was charged for all meds, inc OTC stuff like Advil.

I agree to check bill carefully. I found out I was charged $4 for mineral oil used by mw. But what are you going to do?
If I remember rightly, my bill was pretty much all inclusive "natural birth VBAC. 2 night stay, one laboring, and one pp. it was $7500 and the insurance knocked it down after that. Might check with how the hossy does it, and what specific things are itemized and individually charged. If they're included in the room fee, there's no point in taking your own in just to save cause it may or may not. But if you want your own things anyway, more power to you
As for the blankets, they're like the hospital gowns and bedding on your bed. They dont charge you for each one brought into your room. They're usually nice and warm too.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With my first, she didn't latch on at all while we were there and my milk came in just before we were to be discharged. They told me they had to "teach me what to do with those things" (the big boobies...) ... so the lactation consultant came in and brought the teaching manual breastpump in the room to show me how it works... she ended up sending it home with me and since it had been previously used (and sterilized) - she got me another one that was new. I got charged $40 on my bill for each of those. I called the hospital billing back and informed them that I only got one - I wasn't about to spend $40 on a USED manual pump. The date they'd put on my bill for one of them was 2-3 days after I'd been discharged, so I just told them I wasn't even there on that date - I'm assuming when they had to restock the "training" pump, that they charged me for it... Not my problem.

Point being - you may want to either take a pump or have one available that you could have hubby get for you if you end up being there long enough and babe doesn't latch well.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #17
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Limiting the number of actual nights you spend in the hospital will probably be the biggest thing you can do to limit your charges.

I cannot speak for every hospital. However, at my hospital you are not allowed to use your own medications. There are safety reasons for it with our patients. If you take the wrong medication, too much or if a medication you take interferes with something the pharmacy gives you, there is potential liability for the hospital.

Our hospital does not scan things like toilet items. They may well be part of the global charges for the room. However, they are not individually charged.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 AM   #18
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didn't realize they would charge things like this. Ours ended up being a lump sum that was paid by insurance, so it didn't really matter to me. Do they really charge for that tiny hat that many people leave? Or that half a bag of diapers in the drawer? They even charge for the PP pads in the bathroom even if you don't use them? Ridiculous!

I don't think my hospital allows you to bring your own medication. I tried to bring my multivitamin with me, but they wouldn't let me take it. As a PP said, I think keeping the number of nights you're there as low as possible would be your best bet.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #19
Shadowwolf549
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You must have read my mind!!! I have already been making a list of the things I will be bringing to the hospital...and I work there!! I am a L/D, PP nurse and I know how much that stuff costs!! So this is what I have on my list so far:

Pads

Granny panties from wal-mart ($1)

Dermoplast spray

All my own OTC meds and vitamins

All my own toiletries for me and baby (they are REALLY expensive!!)

Cloth dipes

Sposie wipes

Nipple shield (just in case)

Lanolin

heating pad (those little heat packs aren't free either)

That's just what I have down so far. I'm sure I'll come up with more stuff!

I coupon, so I either already have most of this stuff, or can get it for next to nothing, so why in the world should I pay insane prices for it just b/c the hospital provides it??
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #20
gghmommy
Registered Users

Most hospitals require that medications be checked by the pharmacy. That's why you need to have them in original containers and checked. Our hospital requires they stay at the nurse station locked up, you just may want to ensure the nurse pulled from your supplies and not from hopspital. They need to keep track of what you take and when. Not that your'e not smart enough, it's just the rule. For meds, if you're bringing them, definitely have that part of your bill itemized and keep a list of what you take and when to compare. That's all I know about!
gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote