Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 AM   #21
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
It must vary by hospital. My bill had everything they had available for use in the room and didn't use. For example, pain medication. They had an epi all ready and charged me for that. And the pain meds for after in recovery? HA. I kid you not they charged like $60 per pill. And every little item under the sun. The difference between what they charged (over 30k) and what I /should/ have been charged (10k, but that includes water birth and all that goes with that) was INSANE. I also didn't get my itemized list until maybe a week after discharge, in the mail. So if you can, try to have someone write down every thing you get, request or use. That way new mama brain won't have to remember.

ETA: Totally normal, not complicated natural delivery btw. I came in and pushed 6x. It took 20min. I stayed one night due to bleeding.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Advertisement

Last edited by Hillargh; 01-23-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #22
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Not to sound like a total rebel, but couldn't you just refuse meds and take your own stuff when they are out of the room? Esp things like vitamins and whatnot. I wouldn't even bother to ask if that was the case.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #23
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tips for keeping the hospital bill down?

You should probably refuse to enter the room at all until they remove the hospital supplies if this is really going to be an itemized stay. They won't re-use anything that has been in your room, unopened or not.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #24
SewGreenBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: Naturally Pampered
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have 2 hospitals to choose from, so I'll have to ask them how they charge for things at the tours. They both seem natural childbirth friendly, so it may come down to who will charge me the least! Insurance covers 80% but even paying 20%, those misc. charges can add up fast!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
SewGreenBaby is offline   Reply With Quote