Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #21
lizdanielle
Registered Users
seller

Charts, charts, charts! Make fun charts and give them stickers whenever they do them. Stick to your guns, never promise anything you can't own up to, and never take stickers away. (My favorite during the holidays was "Do it or else Santa isn't coming!"... When the presents were already in the closet lol).

Advertisement

lizdanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #22
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chores

My almost 6 and 3 year olds have to pick up their toy room, help clean up toys from other rooms, put their dishes in the sink when done, help set the table. When we move they'll be helping put away their clothes, as of right now the closet is up too high for them to reach.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #23
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, ladies.

I am definitely making a chore list for them today because we didn't get off to a great start. They weren't so much resistant to doing chores as they were distracted and goofy.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #24
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Well, we don't call it chores. I don't want them to have a bad connotation with doing what is expected. It is just part of what you have to do, similarly like getting dressed, eating, brushing teeth.

They all have to pick up after themselves, put toys away, empty backpacks so I can go through folders and planners easier, unpack lunch boxes and put containers by sink, put shoes away, empty swim bags and hang swim suits, put folded clothes away, clear table, just normal day to day responsibilities.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane
Well, we don't call it chores. I don't want them to have a bad connotation with doing what is expected. It is just part of what you have to do, similarly like getting dressed, eating, brushing teeth.

They all have to pick up after themselves, put toys away, empty backpacks so I can go through folders and planners easier, unpack lunch boxes and put containers by sink, put shoes away, empty swim bags and hang swim suits, put folded clothes away, clear table, just normal day to day responsibilities.
This. We don't call it chores or use charts. It is just normal everyday life.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #26
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

My kids are 6.5, 5, and 3 and they help a lot. Not all of their chores are everyday though. They are in charge of cleaning their rooms, and of cleaning anything they had out in the living room. Any toys in the living room that are not put away when I sweep get swept off to the donation pile. So they're pretty good at keeping them picked up. They also get everyones drinks and silverware at mealtimes and take care of their own dishes. They take out our compost, and sometimes wash the dishes. They fold the towels, napkins, and kleenexes and put their clothes away (3 YO needs help still). They sweep about once a week and wipe the table and counters down about that often. The three year old gets a big kick out of helping me sort laundry and turning on the machines so she does that. They all help load and stack wood. They are also in charge of the chickens--opening and closing the coop and getting/washing eggs.

They don't make their own beds...no one makes them here. They do take their sheets off and to the dirties if they get wet or something.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #27
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a sticker char that my kids love, here is what I have written on it for them

5 yo
Make bed
Pick up dirty clothes
put away books and toys on bedroom floor
pick up toys in living room
put away trains and cars in playroom

4 yo
make bed
pick up dirty clothes
pick up books and toys off bedroom floor
pick up toys in living room
put away stuffed animals in playroom
put away books in playroom

Then they get 2-3 extra jobs added as needed. They are not allowed to watch tv during DD's naptime unless all of their jobs for the day are done.

2 yo doesn't have assigned jobs yet, but is given things to do throughout the day like put the shoes on the shoe shelf, or take all of your babies to your bedroom.

They also all take their own dishes to the sink, put coats, hats, mittens away, put away their own laundry (once folded)etc.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #28
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almacham View Post
Thanks, ladies.

I am definitely making a chore list for them today because we didn't get off to a great start. They weren't so much resistant to doing chores as they were distracted and goofy.
When I first started getting the kids to pitch in, I really had to be a drill sargent. I had to literally stand with them and constantly tell them exactly what to do and how. But, it didn't take very long before I didn't need to supervise as closely. If you stay consistent, they will get it.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #29
megshmeg
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here's that link - http://parentingsquad.com/45-chores-...hildren-can-do
Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #30
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks to all of you! Bookmarking that site now!