Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

DH and I just bought our first house (yay!). My parents gave us their old washer and dryer. We have hooked up the washer, but have not yet called someone to hook up the dryer (it's a gas hookup). In the meantime we've been line drying everything. ATM it's kinda of sucky because we are using hangers and hanging them wherever there is room, but I got to thinking today...what if we set up a nice, big laundry line in the basement (we live in northern MN and therefore cannot line dry for like, 11 1/2 months out of the year) and line-dried all the time? So my questions are, if you do this:

How much money do you save per year?
Is it a big pain in the you-know-what? Esp. time-wise?
Have you noticed that your clothes stay nicer, longer?
Do you have to iron more (our stuff seems more stiff and wrinkly line-dried)?
On that note, how do you get your stuff to be less stiff and wrinkly??
Anything else you love/hate about it?

Maybe some silly questions and a silly thing to be thinking so hard about, but we've always used the dryer (except for dipes in the summer), so this is strange and foreign to us.

Advertisement

Last edited by cobbermama; 01-20-2013 at 06:38 PM.
cobbermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Questions About Line-Drying Eveything, All the Time

I don't know how much we save, but I don't really find it to be a hassle. In fact, it helps me to keep up on laundry better because I no longer have the luxury of just doing 18 loads of laundry in a day. I haven't noticed anything about our clothes. As for wrinkles, if you give them a good shake and hang shirts upside down, they tend to not be so wrinkled. We have very little that ever needs to be ironed, but that is due mainly to the fact that we tend to wear a lot of t-shirts, and DH's work uniforms really don't wrinkle.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
My friend does this. All I know is that I asked her if her clothes were crunchy cause mine always are if I line dry them. She said they're not crunchy - they're fine.

I do think it helps her clothes last longer and stay nicer, but can't tell you anything about electricity savings.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
ForevergreenOrganics
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We love line drying, we definately line dry all of our diapers. I cant say how much money we save because we hve a coin-op at our condo complex.. We use a portable washer & that saves us tons!
Ive heard line drying saves your clothes (makes them last longer).
ForevergreenOrganics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
mommyto3sweeties
Registered Users
seller
seller

In our last home we line dried everything. It was such an energy and money saver. It saved us around $100/month in utility costs. It took a little extra time but not much. The kids liked to help me hang things and take them down. The clothes were a little crunchy at times, especially during the winter, but some homemade fabric softener in the wash helped quite a bit.
mommyto3sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto3sweeties
In our last home we line dried everything. It was such an energy and money saver. It saved us around $100/month in utility costs. It took a little extra time but not much. The kids liked to help me hang things and take them down. The clothes were a little crunchy at times, especially during the winter, but some homemade fabric softener in the wash helped quite a bit.
What did you use for homemade fabric softener?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
simplykarenp
Registered Users
seller
seller

I line dry everything and my clothes are rarely crunchy. Instead of fabric softener I rinse my clothes in vinegar. I find that the quicker my clothes dry the less chance they have to get crunchy -- clothes that dry outside in the hot sun are softer than clothes dried inside over night.
simplykarenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
wyldcat
Registered Users

My Mood:

99% of the time i use white vinegar but i have made this before and like it:

6 cups hot water
1 cup baking soda
6 cups white vinegar
2 cups hair conditioner

use a 5 gallon bucket just easier to mix

1 cup baking soda and 1 cup hot water. you dont have to mix because the next step will.

slowly add 6 cups vinegar.

It will bubble and foam.

Allow this for a few minutes to get the baking soda to dissolve.

next add the other 5 cups hot water and 2 cups suave conditioner.

Stir stir stir.

I store in a gallon container ..SHAKE before each use...will seperate

The original recipe says to use 1/2 to 1 whole cup in rinse cycle, I fill up the fabric softener dispenser on my machine so i dont know exactly how much that is.

My Food Creations Blog --- Helping You Go Green With Style --- Earn Free Amazon GCs With Me
wyldcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Our dryer costs $0.68 to run one 45 minute cycle. So we pay roughly $20/month to dry with it, if that helps.

Last edited by Melinda29; 01-24-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
77Lipen
Registered Users

My parents line dry everything and we live in northern Ontario. In summer they have a line outside but winter they use a drying rack over a heat vent. The drying rack only costs like 20 from Walmart. It's the wire one (if your interested).
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote