Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
jamien77
Registered Users

New to Cloth

I just had my third baby, she was a preemie at 33 weeks. I want to cloth diaper and I bought a bunch on Black friday. Now that I have her, I am realizing I dont know what is best as for the diapers. Are microfleece too hot in summer? Does the sensation of feeling wet with cotton cause a rash? Do one size diapers really fit all the way till potty training? Please help as I am feeling overwhelmed.

Advertisement

jamien77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Earthy Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: New to Cloth

first off, congrats on the new babe!!

everyone has different opinions on stay dry/feeling wet...
ive used the stay dry pockets, and my daughter was totally allergic to that, as she was with any and all PUL covers... DS managed the stay dry fine for a while but then his skin started getting sensitive to it...so with DD i used wool full time, and with DS now i use wool full time..the only time he gets a rash is when he is teething now...i read somewhere that it is actually the lack of air flow that causes rashes, which to me makes perfect sense... i dont like stay dry stuff, nor will i use it anymore, but to each their own what works for one person/one baby doesnt work for another...
with my DS when he would wear PUL or stay dry stuff it was like he was 'sweaty' weather it is summer or not! i just dont care for it anymore, and i change often...u dont really want to ever just leave a peepee diaper on ur babe, kwim??
for some babies, one size does work from newborn all the way to PL...some it doesnt work, it depends on how big ur baby is...BG OS pocket fit my DS around 8+ pounds, and they fit good for a long time, but i dont like how they fit on the large setting, in the middle setting they are too short but large setting they get a leg gap...all babies are different for what they fit, usually OS is too big for newborns and ususally dont fit through PL if u have a bigger/average size kid IME.
Personally, i like cotton/all natural fibers SIZED diapers, and using WOOL full time...that is my preferance though...HTH! dont be too stressed about it, ull figure out what u like fast!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Cpaul
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: New to Cloth

I really like wool too but it's expensive
Cpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Congrats and welcome to cloth. It can be overwhelming at first. I personally don't think micro fleece is too hot. We also have never had rashes from wetness. One size diapers can fit through potty training; they did my DD1. But kids are so different and some 2 year olds just get too big for the average diaper. For me DD1 that just wasn't the case. We got tons of use out of her diapers and they are on their second child now.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
fii
Registered Users
seller

I'm fairly new to cloth also. By only advice is this: try a few of the kinds you're interested in, and then buy more if you're happy with how they work for your baby. I started with all pocket diapers because the reviews were awesome, but after a few months I got frustrated with them for nap times, and didn't like the fit of the type I got. Now we use hemp and wool at night, fitteds without a cover for the house, and pocket diapers for going to the store, visiting etc.
fii is offline   Reply With Quote