Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I was tandem nursing my oldest two and pregnant with my third, and decided I wanted to wean my oldest before the baby was born. We were down to nursing only before bedtime at night, and one night I decided to start the dialogue with her about not nursing anymore, so I told her that when she was a baby I nursed her, and now that she's a little girl, soon she won't need to nurse anymore, because she can eat food, drink water, run, jump, etc. (list of big girl things ) And some day we'll be all done nursing and we can just rock before we go to sleep. She thought about it for a minute, then said softly, "I'm a very tiny baby..." I totally thought it was going to take weeks to wean her at that point, but then she snuggled into my shoulder and closed her eyes, so I asked her, "do you want to nurse tonight, or just rock?" "Just rock," she said, and that was that! My milk was basically gone at that point anyway, but I was shocked that she took to it so easily! I hope it works out easily for you and your LO too!

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
MrsTWhite
Registered Users
seller

Re: need some support on weaning while pregnant

My son is 12 months old and we just found out we are expecting again in November. I don't want to completely wean him, but I know I don't want to full time tandem nurse either. Right now he nurses four times a day: first thing when he wakes up, after each of his two naps, and last thing before bed. What I think I want to do is wean him off the after nap time feedings so that once the baby gets here, I can focus on feeding him/her during the day, but still nurse my son first thing in the morning and last thing before bed. I'm just worried that when he sees the baby nursing during the day that he will want to nurse too. What do y'all think?
MrsTWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTWhite
My son is 12 months old and we just found out we are expecting again in November. I don't want to completely wean him, but I know I don't want to full time tandem nurse either. Right now he nurses four times a day: first thing when he wakes up, after each of his two naps, and last thing before bed. What I think I want to do is wean him off the after nap time feedings so that once the baby gets here, I can focus on feeding him/her during the day, but still nurse my son first thing in the morning and last thing before bed. I'm just worried that when he sees the baby nursing during the day that he will want to nurse too. What do y'all think?
That sounds great! I'd just slowly drop feedings until you get to where you want to be...a month or two before the new baby comes, if possible, so it's already routine for him. After baby comes, distraction is the name of the game! Maybe have some special books or toys that he can use while you nurse, or if you have a helper around, keep him occupied the first few days or weeks. My oldest was 16 months (and still nursing several times a day and once during the night) when my second was born, and she didn't really have a problem with me nursing him. We would talk or she would play while I nursed, and that was that. She had her own times to nurse, and that satisfied her.