Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
ElleAnn0044
Registered Users

More Absorbency??

Hi! I'm new. I have an 8 month old daughter. She's in the 50th percentile for weight (around 18lbs at her last checkup) and the 85th percentile in height- so she's a tall skinny kid. We mostly use inexpensive pocket diapers (Simply Cloth brand) stuffed with GMD size small prefolds, but we have a handful of size 1 Thirsties Duo wraps and size small Imse Vimse covers that still fit with GMD size small prefolds in them. She just grew out of the newborn Imse Vimse covers that are supposed to go to 13 pounds- which is an indication of how slim she is.

Anyhow, in the past couple of weeks she has started coming home from daycare in a new outfit pretty much every day because her diapers are leaking. I don't think that the pocket diapers are repelling- I think either someone isn't putting the diapers on tight enough or we need to move up higher absorbancy. I was wondering what everyone would recommend.

The two ideas that I'm toying with are either adding GMD doublers or buying size medium or large GMD prefolds to use as doublers. What would you do: Doublers or Larger Prefolds? I will try stripping the pocket diapers- but I am pretty convinced that she needs more absorbency.

Advertisement

ElleAnn0044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
Kay+Dave
Registered Users

If it is an absorbency issue, her prefold is going to be basically soaked when it is removed. I would check that out first.

If you are planning on sticking with the prefold system, I think I would go ahead and buy the next size up. That seems like a simpler solution for daycare workers than adding a doubler. Personally, I love pad folded flats over prefolds, hands down. I use flour sack towels from Walmart...super cheap...and they work wonderfully! A pad folded flat with a bamboo insert in a cover will hold my 10 month old son for 12 hours at night.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
mamaspice
Registered Users

I would ask how often they are changing, as well as if the pf is soaked. If you need more absorbency those are both great options.

GmD reds fit tall skinnies great.

Last edited by mamaspice; 01-20-2013 at 11:27 PM.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote