Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Erin0183
Registered Users
seller

Opinions - Hype or Hope? GAPS, Candida, Paleo, etc.

Just curious what other people think about all of these diets that suggest completely cutting out grains and sugar. proponents of these diets insinuate, or even flat out say that any health problems you have can be attributed to eating grains and sugar in ANY amounts.

I've always been an "everything in moderation" type of girl, though I have pretty much completely cut refined white flour from my family's diet. I don't eat a lot of grains or huge amounts of sugar, but is the little bit I do have really causing all the damage that the hype suggests?

I am breastfeeding my toddler, and when I attempted to cut out all grains and sugar, I did not feel great or like it was healthy for me or my son.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Erin0183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think some people are sensitive to some foods. E.g., hubby stopped eating sugar and refined carbs and after 6 weeks his triglycerides were normal for the first time in his adult life.

I think a lot of junk food is made of grains and/or sugar. If you ate Doritos or white bread or Swiss Rolls and then switched to a Paleo diet, it's not that you're giving up grains and sugar--you're giving up *junk*.

I think the science behind most of the currently popular diets is lacking. Hubby is now doing the 4-hour-body diet, and while I'm glad it's working for him, I've read the book, and some of the author's claims are illogical.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Erin0183
Registered Users
seller

Re: Opinions - Hype or Hope? GAPS, Candida, Paleo, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesslouise View Post
I think some people are sensitive to some foods. E.g., hubby stopped eating sugar and refined carbs and after 6 weeks his triglycerides were normal for the first time in his adult life.

I think a lot of junk food is made of grains and/or sugar. If you ate Doritos or white bread or Swiss Rolls and then switched to a Paleo diet, it's not that you're giving up grains and sugar--you're giving up *junk*.

I think the science behind most of the currently popular diets is lacking. Hubby is now doing the 4-hour-body diet, and while I'm glad it's working for him, I've read the book, and some of the author's claims are illogical.
I love your logical point of view on this subject. I'm sure a lot of the success stories out there have a lot to do with cutting out processed foods. Thanks for your insight!
Erin0183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it depends. I'm gluten free but I was tested by a doctor. I don't eat wheat but I still eat rice & other grains that are gluten free.

I think getting tested to see if something is causing an issue is a good idea. If a person is try to "fix" something with a diet.... they should go to a doctor to find out the cause. It could be a medical condition that could be helped by a diet.

I think eating healthy in general is a good idea. Loading up on carbs and sugar/high fructose corn syrup... probably not a good idea. I think lots of processed food has junk in it ... MSG, hydrogenated oils,and empty calories. Eating in moderation is fine as long you don't have a medical condition that prohibits it... such as celiacs or diabetes. I can't eat wheat in moderation.

My DH has gout ... He can't eat beans, beef, or lots of stuff. Going Paleo probably would have caused his condition to worsen if he had never been diagnosed and tried to self treat through a diet. Once he was diagnosed then we did alter the foods we eat to a low purine diet to help him to be pain free. I went a little extreme and really cut out all the no-no's in November... he's been feeling great. He was limping around like an old man and popping Aleve in higher than he should have doses. He hasn't taken an aleve since I stopped buying the junk. He is not allowed high fructose corn syrup... so between both our dietary requirements, we don't eat hardly any processed food.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's a bit of both. It's no surprise that people "feel" better or lose weight on a certain diet if they've cut out processed junk and sugars, and start exercising more, etc. regardless of what diet they are on. It doesn't mean it's that particular diet that is so great.

I think it's a bit silly when I read people saying "we weren't made to eat _____." Well, some things, yeah - we weren't made to eat junk food and highly processed foods with tons of chemicals and fake sugars etc. But when people say we weren't made to eat, say, rice, legumes, beans, or potatoes, or animals, or whatever - based on their diet of choice and think that THIS is "the right diet" for everyone - I think that's extreme. There is no "one size fits all" diet for every human being.

Now I do think as a culture, we don't really know how to prepare certain things that would otherwise be truly healthy properly w/o thinking we need to add a ton of fats, sugars, and salts... so people just think they are "unhealthy".
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
BlissfulMoM
Registered Users

I think food can be medicine and am a big believer in nutritional healing. But not every diet is for every one. We tried the intro diet for SCD (very similar to GAPS) but it made us feel sicker. Too much protein and fat. For us, a vegan diet produced better results. Everyone's GI issues disappeared, DH had normal blood pressure, and my very irritable son totally mellowed out. When we went off the diet after a year, everything slowly returned. But again, as pp have suggested, when you are following a special diet you are more focused on getting good nutrition and a lot of junk is off the menu. Still, I do feel certain healthy foods are definitely triggers for some people.
BlissfulMoM is offline   Reply With Quote