Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
KLJ07
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ds (14.5 months) has had one since he was 2 weeks old. His started off flat and red, and now it raised (but not too bad) and still very red. It is about the size of a nickel. It never grew in size.

Oh, and OP, just noticed where your location is. I live about 10 miles or less from you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20130121_133730.jpg (5.0 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20130121_133827.jpg (6.6 KB, 84 views)

Advertisement

Last edited by KLJ07; 01-21-2013 at 12:49 PM.
KLJ07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Wendylady
Registered Users

Re: Moms of strawberry babies

My oldest was born with a couple on the back of his head/neck. Just above the hairline. They've faded over the years but are still there, he's 11 now.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
taylor's mom
Registered Users

oldest ds and littlest dd have hemangiomas. ds's is on the side of his ring finger. we've always called it his God kiss. he's actually pretty upset right now because its starting to go away. he'll be 4 in june.
dd's is on the side/back of her neck. it's not huge or anything but very dark and noticeable to other people. the kids call it her God kiss and we barely notice it. i expect that it will go away over time as well.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My dd who is 11m has one on her side. Doc said it should fade over the years.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

DD2 has a large and pronounced one on her scalp. From everything I've been told and read, they can continue to grow, but usually peak at around age 2 and then start to go down. Most have at least flattened out if not dissapeared entirely by age 5. My MIL on seeing DD2's remembered that DH had one behind his ear, but there's no sign of it now, and they never did anything about it. A cousin had one on her chest where it would be visible in a lower cut T-shirt or bathing suit and while it went down it did leave a mark, so she had it lasered as a teen.

Where DD2's is, I'd only be concerned if it remained raised, but her hair should cover it completely once she gets some more. I just don't want it to stay raised, as I can see her catching it with a hair brush. There's two other LOs in the playgroup I take the girls to with them. One is about the size of a large zit on a little boy's forhead, assuming it doesn't stay raised and darkens up it'll probably just look like a big freckle. The other is right around a little girl's eye. Her mom says it's already gone down some and she's about 16-17mos.

Here's some pics of DD2 with her hemangioma. They're a few months old, but it's not changed a whole lot.

In this one you can get an idea how raised it is.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #16
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
DD2 has a large and pronounced one on her scalp. From everything I've been told and read, they can continue to grow, but usually peak at around age 2 and then start to go down. Most have at least flattened out if not dissapeared entirely by age 5. My MIL on seeing DD2's remembered that DH had one behind his ear, but there's no sign of it now, and they never did anything about it. A cousin had one on her chest where it would be visible in a lower cut T-shirt or bathing suit and while it went down it did leave a mark, so she had it lasered as a teen.

Where DD2's is, I'd only be concerned if it remained raised, but her hair should cover it completely once she gets some more. I just don't want it to stay raised, as I can see her catching it with a hair brush. There's two other LOs in the playgroup I take the girls to with them. One is about the size of a large zit on a little boy's forhead, assuming it doesn't stay raised and darkens up it'll probably just look like a big freckle. The other is right around a little girl's eye. Her mom says it's already gone down some and she's about 16-17mos.

]

my step daughter had 2 of these on her head just like the one your DD has. she still has the marks where they were (she'll be 13 in may) they are the color of her skin and one has started growing hair on it within the last year and a half or so. she can cover it well now. the other is at the part in her hair and is very visible. if she wears her hair up in a ponytail or some other way they are covered but she likes to wear her hair down. they aren't really raised anymore. they look like scars on her head. oh and when the hair started to grow on the one, it was really itchy to her.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had one on my side when I was little. By around 6 or 8 years old it had faded, and now there's no trace.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #18
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
My dd has one. It started when she was 6 weeks old as the size a small dot next to her eye. It grew to size of pencil eraser by 6 months. People would ask me if she had been injured.

Dr became concerned about it because it was so close to eye and could start growing into eye socket. He put her on medication (proproanol) for six months and it stopped growing. At about 14 months it started flattening out and getting paler. Now at 2.5 yo, it's very pale pink and totally flat. No one comments on it anymore.

If it hadn't been next to her eye, I'd likely not have put her meds. She didn't have any negative effects from meds.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #19
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DD is 8 months and has one on her forehead that is around the size of a dime. It started out as a faint purplish mark at birth and slowly got pinker, then red, grew in size, and then got puffy.

My Ped just said to leave it alone, but I wanted to get it seen by a dermatologist so I could ask for Timolol drops. The dermatologist didn't really want to do anything, but saw that I didn't want to do nothing, so he prescribed the drops.

I have to say that they really have seemed to help! Her mark stopped growing by around 4 months, and has started involuting. It is no longer bright red, is skin color in the center and is less puffy. It looks much more like a healing bruise/bump. People are always asking how she bumped her head. It really doesn't look like a "strawberry" anymore.

Here are some pictures.

Last edited by me_just_me; 01-24-2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: deleted pictures
me_just_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 AM   #20
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

My dd4 has one in the back of her neck that luckily has never raised and one on her leg that was flat and now raised.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote