Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What do your FC call you?

My uncle in-law fosters children ages 1-6 I believe and I've noticed that he has the children call him and his wife dad and mom. This struck me as odd since they are not looking to adopt. Especially since, when you're fostering, don't you still take the children for visits with their bio parents?

I just thought it might be confusing to the children and offensive to the parents. How does it work in your house?

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Amandamama
Registered Users

Re: What do your FC call you?

Kids old enough to talk have called us Mommy Amanda & daddy Matt, cuz our kids call us mommy & daddy. They know you're not their bio patent, but still you are a foster "parent" and play the role of mom & dad, so I (& most foster parents I'm friends with) have the kids call us some version of mom, dad, etc.
Older kids usually call foster parents by their first name
Amandamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
millermyer2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had a 4 and 7 year old FC last year and they started calling us mom and dad with in a couple of days! Our DS know is almost 1 and calls us mama and dada! For the younger ones I think it is just natural to use those words for the ones taking care of you! As for the ones that are a little older I think it gave them comfort in some way!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Depends on the age. Our dfs calls us mama and daddy because thats what our dd calls us. Its also kind of a title, like the captain of a ship, the mother of the house. Its just the care giving role.

I dont think its confusing for kids, more for the adults. I'm sure it would hurt bios feelings but the kids only know this. My.dd said so, J has 2 mommies. Wouldn't it be awesome if he had 10 mommies? We have just said its more people that love him and thats a good thing.

Last edited by newmommy13; 01-22-2013 at 09:17 AM.
newmommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

If I had to guess 99% of the time, nobody tells a child to call them anything. They call you mom and dad because it's a comfort to them and it doesn't feel natural to call you anything else. Even when they are totally attached to the bio parents, they still do it.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ManyBoyz View Post
If I had to guess 99% of the time, nobody tells a child to call them anything. They call you mom and dad because it's a comfort to them and it doesn't feel natural to call you anything else. Even when they are totally attached to the bio parents, they still do it.
This exactly. Our X-Man is VERY attached to Bio-Mom but he still called me mom from day one. I told him my name was Megan and never once told him he could or should call me mom. He just did. Little-Man did the same. Everyone else was so he of course was going to at his age.

In training they told us MANY MANY times that Mom and Dad are titles for the jobs we are doing and not to be afraid to let the kids call us that.

Especially when they are out in public or in certain situations it just makes it easier if they call you Mom and Dad even at older ages I would imagine.

It is just what makes sense in their minds.