Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
cristy_1996
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Laila Amelia's Natural Birth Story

Let's preface this story with the fact that Laila is our sweet rainbow baby. Last February, we went in for our 8 week ultrasound to find out I had a blighted ovum. It was a rough time for us for obvious reasons. We started trying as soon as the doctor allowed and were successful on month 2.

I had a rough pregnancy. VERY rough. Hyperemisis, pubic symphasis pain, 17-OHP progesterone shots, preterm labor and prodromal labor.

So imagine my confusion...."am I really in labor this time?" after weeks of contractions 3-5 minutes apart some lasting two minutes...

My 38/5 week appointment was on Monday, January 14, 2013. I went in at 9:30 a.m. and was dilated 3-5 and 90% effaced. He said that he doubted I would make it much longer. I went home and took a nap, picked the boys up from school and headed back home. All day I was having contractions but of course...nothing new! Around 4, I was getting uncomfortable but still wasn't sure so I called DH to tell him that the contractions were definitely stronger and I was having more cramping with these so to keep his phone near. DH made it home around 6 and made dinner. I didn't want to eat so I sat on my yoga ball at the table and started timing the contractions. They were 2 minutes apart and over a minute long but still not "strong". I told DH that I probably should be on the safe side and go to the hospital to just make sure. So I called my friend to come sit with the boys until FIL could get there. She arrived about 30 minutes later.

We got to the hospital around 8 and they got me checked in, IV started, etc around 9:30. I was 4-5 cm dilated and 100% effaced at that point.

FIL arrived at our house so my friend came to the hospital to be with us. After baby "perked up" they allowed me out of the bed to walk the halls. We walked the halls, laughing and talking.

At midnight the nurse said they wanted to check me again. I was 5-6 then. She said the doctor was on her way in to break my water. She arrived and broke my water at 12:40 a.m...in which at that time she said I was 6-7 cm. The first contraction after my water broke was CRAZY intense so I took a deep breath and figured this was going to FLY (DS2 I had only 45 minutes of pain before he was delivered...) They wanted to monitor baby for 15 minutes after they broke my water to make sure she handled it ok...then they allowed me up to walk again. I barely made it down the hall once; the contractions were coming much stronger and frequent. So I told them I wanted to go back into the room to get on my ball. By the time I got back in the room the pressure was getting REALLY intense so we called the nurse..she suggested a shower to help so hubby started the shower. I made it through about 5-6 contractions in the shower and the pressure in my bottom was so intense I told them I needed to get to the bed b/c I was really close. I was hanging on DH and my friend was rubbing my back. Man, 4 hands are necessary in natural labor! lol

I made it to the bed, friend called the nurse and told her I felt the need to push. She insisted I wasn't ready and that she shouldn't check me again so soon. I told her she needed to get the doctor b/c it was time. I finally looked at my friend and told her to get the f'ing doctor.

After what felt like an hour of arguing with the nurse..probably only 3-4 contractions..the doctor comes in and starts to get dressed and set up. She checked me and I was ready. (DUH, why don't L & D nurses LISTEN!?)

Doctor told me to push into my next contraction and gosh, how amazing that felt opposed to holding it back! I have NEVER felt such pain before. (Both boys were delivered with the help of an epi...neither had time to kick fully in but it definitely took a lot of the pain away.) It took roughly 5 contractions to finally push her out. My body literally collapsed after her body came out. That 15 minutes it took to push her out was like running a marathon!!!

She was born January 15, 2013 at 2:09 a.m. She weighted 7 lbs 15 ozs and was 21.5 inches long. She came out SO bruised. Her little face had bruises everywhere from being wedged in my pelvis for so long. Poor thing! Of course, bruises and all...she is the most beautiful little thing in the world.

DS2 is a big brother!!!

And DS1 is a pro big brother already!

Advertisement

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/CristyGriffith
cristy_1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
PaisleyDeann
Registered Users

My Mood:
Awww!!! What a great birth story <3 She is an absolutely beautiful baby!!! Big brother looks so proud!!! Congrats!!

PaisleyDeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
cristy_1996
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Laila Amelia's Natural Birth Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaisleyDeann View Post
Awww!!! What a great birth story <3 She is an absolutely beautiful baby!!! Big brother looks so proud!!! Congrats!!
Thank you! It was an amazing experience!!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Tiny Trousers
Registered Users
Formerly: Knits4Noah
seller
seller

My Mood:

Awesome story! I can't believe you pushed for 15 minutes - I bet that WAS like running a marathon! Laila is beautiful

Tiny Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
cristy_1996
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Trousers View Post
Awesome story! I can't believe you pushed for 15 minutes - I bet that WAS like running a marathon! Laila is beautiful
Yes, it was an INTENSE 1.5 hours after they broke my water and she came out fairly quickly. I wanna say 5-6 contractions total and we did 3-4 pushes each contraction. I remember at one time yelling at the doctor to push her back in so I could have drugs..lol!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Just want to say congrats and she has a lovely name. ;-)
Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
cristy_1996
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by laila View Post
Just want to say congrats and she has a lovely name. ;-)
Thanks and I am glad you like it

Old 01-22-2013, 03:57 AM   #8
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
Lovely story and beautiful baby!!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #9
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

Perfect!

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #10
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Love it!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote