Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
ursaminor
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: cause of homemade diapers wicking through threading?

Mama, try a pocket diaper with the elastic zig-zag stitched into the seam allowance (no casting). See if that makes a difference.

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
BldrArch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursaminor View Post
Mama, try a pocket diaper with the elastic zig-zag stitched into the seam allowance (no casting). See if that makes a difference.
Yes...great idea. Totally forgot - it's been awhile since I've done rolled elastic.

Red Dog | Studio

Cloth Diapers, Layette Sets, Children's wares and more. Handcrafted in Boulder, CO
Etsy | Free US Shipping
Please take my diapering cost survey!
BldrArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
aryaya
Registered Users
seller

Well the only thing I can think is that the times I'm noticing the wicking is when my little guy is letting the flood gates open in the morning when he wakes up haha.... so perhaps that is all it is, I hope. I'm going to test these out during a 'drier' time of day and see what I find!

There is one diaper that I had to rip out the thread at the leg area because I stitched into the elastic on accident, then I re-sewed that area. Perhaps it's a bit holey there. This diaper seems to wick the worst. Could that be the reason perhaps for that one?
aryaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
aryaya
Registered Users
seller

that's exactly what I'm gonna do! Had that in mind for the next one actually.

I'm sorry if this is a little ot, but when I sew the zig zag - I sew that into the allowance on which side - pul or lining side?

I'm waiting on some softer elastic in the mail, cuz my little guy seems to get more marks on his legs in the rolled elastic diapers I've bought in the past. I'll use that stuff for rolled diaps.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
BldrArch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryaya View Post
that's exactly what I'm gonna do! Had that in mind for the next one actually.

I'm sorry if this is a little ot, but when I sew the zig zag - I sew that into the allowance on which side - pul or lining side?

I'm waiting on some softer elastic in the mail, cuz my little guy seems to get more marks on his legs in the rolled elastic diapers I've bought in the past. I'll use that stuff for rolled diaps.
If you want the legs to roll in, put it on the PUL side. That's what I do and it has worked well

Red Dog | Studio

Cloth Diapers, Layette Sets, Children's wares and more. Handcrafted in Boulder, CO
Etsy | Free US Shipping
Old 01-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
BldrArch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryaya View Post
Well the only thing I can think is that the times I'm noticing the wicking is when my little guy is letting the flood gates open in the morning when he wakes up haha.... so perhaps that is all it is, I hope. I'm going to test these out during a 'drier' time of day and see what I find!

There is one diaper that I had to rip out the thread at the leg area because I stitched into the elastic on accident, then I re-sewed that area. Perhaps it's a bit holey there. This diaper seems to wick the worst. Could that be the reason perhaps for that one?
Grrrr!! I have done that...a lot. Hate it!! That's why I've switched to sewing the casings first then put the elastic in LOL!

Red Dog | Studio

Etsy | Free US Shipping
Old 01-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #17
aryaya
Registered Users
seller

haha i know its a pita! do you think that adds to the problem? i'm never sure if the whole diaper is ruined if you have to pull out stitches and re-do a part????
Old 01-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
aryaya
Registered Users
seller

ps you don't think 90/14 needle is causing the problem? I hardly know anything about sewing so just want to double check.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #19
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to have this problem with my dipes and it can be various issues. I'm just going to list the things that I do, and seem to work.

1- I now use a 70/9 bp needle, i figure the smallest holes possible.
2- seal the holes after sewing by hot wash and hot dry
3- Make sure your inserts are absorbent enough, if they are saturated then you will get leaks no matter what and the first place it leaks is through the stitching
4- your inner fabric might be repelling, this sometimes happens when it is new, so it will take a few washes to wash out all the oils.
5- if you're still having issues buy some camping waterproof spray and spray along the stitching, then allow to dry. This should at least save the diapers you have already made!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #20
aryaya
Registered Users
seller

jeebee thanks so much, great tips. I think honestly it's a combo of all the issues you listed. I always dry low heat too I just realized, so I'm going to toss them in hot for a bit tomorrow. And invest in a smaller needle just for fun. Wash, wait and see.