Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
CCRMSS
Registered Users

My Mood:
What curriculum did/will you use for K

DD's preschool uses A Beka, and she seems to be doing well with it, and I did A Beka as a kid as well. But I'm honestly not really sure what else is out there, though i'm sure it is a ton. I am fine with religious based, or adding in my own if it is not.

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What curriculum did/will you use for K

We used and I will use again... McRuffy for math, Hooked on Phonics and Explode the Code for phonics and reading, and What Your Kindergartener Needs to Know for all the content subjects (science, social studies, art, and music) and also used lots from the literature section.

Some other great options: Sonlight. I tried to use this, we are not Christian and after taking out the Christian element it was a waste of money. Moving Beyond the Page is really neat. There is My Father's World, that is Christian based. Oh and Oak Meadow is beautiful. There are soooo many options out there.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think for K we are going to continue with The Reading Lesson, Saxon 1, Faith and Life 1 (Religion), and sit in on whatever Apologia science the older ones choose for next year and the same with History (A Story of US).

I will probably go ahead and buy LLATL 1 for him to start mid year next year since I think we'll probably finish The Reading Lesson about then.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For K we are doing

Explode the Code for language arts, hooked on phonics for reading and Horizons for Math.

She'll also sit along and semi-participate in the unit studies I have picked out for my 3rd grader for science and history.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For kindergarten last year, DD and I did:

-lapbooks for Science
-Phonics Pathways with LOTS of reading games
-www.Lessonpathways.com and followed along with the MUS scope and sequence for Primer so she'd be ready to do MUS Alpha for this year; we used lots of manipulatives
-Lots and LOTS of reading of fun books together

Honestly, DD was on her way to hating school just a couple of months in so I had to make it as fun as possible with very little money to work with. We played lots of games together! She learned AND had fun.
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Kindergarten for us is Sing, Spell, Read, and Write level 1, A Reason for Handwriting, and Math-U-See (either primer or alpha). That is all we focus on. Any history or science is just added in according to their interests, but nothing formal.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are using Calvert. I wouldn't call it religious but it isn't 100% secular either. I would call it about 90% secular.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
mma
Registered Users

My Mood:

We used Sing, Spell, Read Write for preschool and are using My Father World for Kindergarten this year and love it!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

We used My Father's World for Kindergarten and I LOVED it. I will use it again with my youngers. It takes a slower approach than Abecka and makes for a gentle first year of homeschooling. There is more hand on stuff, and a lot less worksheets. Some kids thrive on worksheets though, so you just have to go with what fits your daughter.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are using Singapore for math, the library for books, bob books and starfall iPad apps for practice reading, explode the code for phonics and handwriting without tears. We also play tons of games and watch Netflix documentaries.