Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Considering changing curriculum

So the title says it all. I'm having trouble with Kearnan's curriculum, or Kearnan. I feel bad because we are fighting almost every day. He is going through a very stressful time right now and I am not entirely sure what is going on. He is back in OT, ST and I am taking him to see Tharen's developmental Pedi to discuss possibly trying medication for his anxiety (I never thought we would get to this point). We are at a point where we are lucky if we get through math each day. He just stares at the wall and fiddles with his pencil or talks to himself. I am at my witts end. It has been almost a year that we have been working on his 5th grade curric and he is not done yet. He says he likes his curriculum just fine and he understands everything, isn't having a problem with any of it, but he is getting between 75-80 on his math tests. He is taking 4 hours to complete his math work each day. When I try to get him to work he just melts down and storms out of the room. I'm not sure what else to do. So his current curriculum looks like

Saxon 6/5 math
Spell By Color
Scott Froesman Grammar 5th
Mr Q Life Science
Lesson Pathways History
Journaling
Literature books of my choosing and books of his choosing

The problem is most days we are lucky if he gets through Saxon and maybe Spell By Color. We are not through even the second unit of grammar and we get to Science and History when we get a chance. I do make sure he reads every day but we haven't done nearly as much reading comp as I wanted to. All of the extras have fallen by the wayside. His school day is averaging 6-8 hours and he still isn't getting anything done. I need a major overhaul. If this was your child what would you do? I'm thinking I need to change math programs but I need something thorough because he needs to have a good basis in math. He is ASD, SPD, and Anxiety NOS at least. He has some memory issues as well (can remember things in context but not out). He can understand math concepts almost automatically but he forgets them if he doesn't keep using them. We are atheist and I do not want a religious program though I would consider a pagan/earth based program. I do not have a ton of money to spend.

For next year I have already bought Saxon but if I can find something else I can always sell it. I also have Hake Grammar purchased. I have tried other writing programs and none of them have worked for him yet. His writing is bad. We were planning to continue with Spell By Color as it seems to be helping and there is one more year of it available. I would consider a whole curriculum or pieces if they weren't too hard to assemble and use. I have another child I am teaching but he insists on an unschooling/Waldorf method.

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

I would ask on the well trained mind... Theres more people teaching older kids and it has a special needs Forum.

I think im going to buy math mammoth for this year.

Its fairly inexpensive you can buy one book for under 20 or a year for 34.

Its not a spiral like saxon though so im not sure its what your looking for.

Last edited by monkeymama07; 01-19-2013 at 07:12 AM.
monkeymama07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

double

Last edited by monkeymama07; 01-19-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Considering changing curriculum

I was looking at Math Mammoth and was really interested but is it only available through 6th grade? I don't want to start something and have to change again right away. I posted on Well Trained mind to see if I get any more ideas. I have a membership to complete curriculum and I've considered trying that as well since I only paid $5 for it and have it for another 6months or so. I'm concerned about trying a mastery method because he forgets the concepts if he doesn't use them for long enough (it only takes 2 weeks on some of them like fractions and percents).
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

What about CLE ?
I have no idea how much religión would be in it but it sounds comparable to saxon. So maybe worth checking out?

I am drawn to the mastery maths and only have a 5 year old so take my thoughts for what they are worth :/

Also have you thought of just setting a time limit for math and When its up just moving on regardless what is accomplished? Maybe the hump in the road would pass If its a burn out issue or an anxiety issue?

Last edited by monkeymama07; 01-19-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Considering changing curriculum

What about something like Life of Fred? You said you can get the reading done and that is a lot of reading rather than a lot of math. You could also use free printouts for the chapters from mathusee.com or others?
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote