Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sometimes being the mean mommy is so hard

So my 2.5 year old has been horrible with going to bed lately. She will say she has to pee,poop, get this, get that, tell me just a second. So I set the timer tonight and told her she had five minutes until bed so we needed to go potty and give kisses. She went pee (went poop.earlier) she gave kisses and brushed her.teeth. when the timer went off I told her we needed to get jammies on for bed. She quickly ran to the potty and said she had to pee, and then poop. So I set the timer for 2 min and told her if she did not.come by the timer she couldn't have one of the three of her books. Timer went off I said we had to go.to bed ..she said she had.to go poop (again I know she.doesn't she's very regular) I said ok you havr lost oink oink to read but still have.two more so lets go so we can read. Nope..set the timer again. Again told her I needed her to come get jammies on. Again she said no. Again took book. Again went through the positive that she still had one book. Again set timer again timer.goes off. Just as I am putting book away she comes running "no mommy no book away. timer still ringing. I here read"

If course now that we have read she is in her room crying to read her other books. I did tell her we could read them tomorrow if she made better choices.

I get she doesn't totally get it but im really tired of her making bedtime an hour long power struggle.

Advertisement

ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh mama... I totally sympathize! We are just getting to that point with DD... Water, blanky, the OTHER blanky, socks on, socks off...
We have not really started PLing nor have we started the crib to bed transition, and I am anticipating a few disastrous months to come.
it is hard to feel mean!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It is so hard but it will be worth it in the end. My kids are able to read the number on the digital clocks and know if they are not ready for bed at 7:45pm I don't read. They have a checklist of things that need to be done. It is rather effective because I fought that fight when they were little. However my daughter has been caught lying about being ready and that resulted in her losing 15mins off bedtime
Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Sometimes being the mean mommy is so hard

Good for you, mama! And because it is so hard!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Just remind yourself you're preparing her for being a good student for her teachers and employee for her future bosses one day. She's learning to meet deadlines.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

After a couple of times, I am sure she will get it. Great job following through.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
I get she doesn't totally get it but im really tired of her making bedtime an hour long power struggle.
I'm sure she understands cause and effect, but she probably doesn't understand why she can't convince you to do what she wants.

:hug: Hang in there. It's hard to hear our little ones sad, but remember that she is sad because of something she did and not something you did.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Hugs, mama. Hope it gets better soon.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Fitter
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hear ya! But good job sticking to your guns, she'll pick up quick that if she wants to read she needs to be ready.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
cammyM
Registered Users
seller

mybe try making it a game? put on a song and she has to try to be in bed ready for story before the song ends? good luck
cammyM is offline   Reply With Quote