Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
HuntersMama
Registered Users
seller

I know labor is a longgg way off BUT..

I need to start thinking about what my birth plan is going to be. I really don't know if I should try for another "normal" birth, or tell my doctor I would like a planned C-section

My one and only son was born in 2011 and I had a perfect pregnancy, HORRIBLE birth. I weighed 90lbs pre-pregnancy, 140lbs at the end. No health problems for either one of us before or after. BUT when I went into active/pushing labor it was terrible. I pushed for almost 2 hours, my sons heart rate was going down (because his cord was wrapped around his neck) he came out and wasn't breathing. After an hour of pushing my midwife called an actual doctor, who I had to wait 30-45 minutes for (all while pushing) and then she had to use a vacuum on his head, which left bruising. I was terrified for my son, my mother was so upset by my pain that she had to walk out of the room. I was crying, almost throwing up, and saying I just couldn't do it anymore... AND with all the trouble I had birthing, my son only weighed 5 pounds 12 ounces.

I'm TERRIFIED that this next experience will be like this or worse, because I'm the same weight now that I was when I got pregnant with my son. He was a small baby and I just don't know HOW I could give birth to a bigger baby. My mom had a very very similar build to mine when she gave birth to me at 7lbs and I broke her tailbone.

But on the other hand, I really don't want them to CUT into me, have the longer healing time, more painful experience I'm just really stuck right now and don't know what in the heck to do. Pregnancy is supposed to be a joyous/happy time and I just can't stop thinking about how things went wrong the first time

Advertisement

HuntersMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ddc

I couldnt read without commenting. Did you have an epi? How were you positioned when pushing? It sounds like a bad combination of bad position of Mom or baby. If you do have a vaginal birth again I think it would be a good idea to find a Dr/midwife who allows pushing in positions other than your back.
sorry it was such a scary experience.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: I know labor is a longgg way off BUT..

I agree what meds did you have? How far down was your baby before you started pushing?
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
momto2princesses
Registered Users

It sounds like a bad experience no doubt, but I do agree with the pps that it seems like maybe a combo of bad positioning, meds, and maybe even the cord around his neck causing him to have trouble descending. Most of those are things you can usually improve if you just know what to do ahead of time.

I've had a c-section and then a HBAC. My c-section baby was only 7lbs 6 ozs and she wasn't even in my pelvis when I had my c-section after 48 hours of induced labor. My VBAC baby was 8 lbs 6 ozs with a nuchal hand and I had a relatively easy, uncomplicated birth with her. There really is a TON to do with positioning. A small, poorly positioned baby can make for a much more difficult delivery than a bigger baby who's optimally positioned. Whatever you decide, just do your research before hand. A C-section is more difficult than a vaginal delivery (IMO), and carries a whole host of other things to think about with regards to your and baby's safety, as well a future pregnancies as well.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
HuntersMama
Registered Users
seller

Thank you all. I did originally have an epi but they turned it off during my delivery. It was recommended because of my similar framed mothers broken tailbone, the doctors were afraid that if I was smaller and my son was bigger, that I would have the same experience. They ended up turning it off the first hour of my labor because of his heart rate falling, which was really due to the cord being wrapped
Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
AleahDeann
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would try again, this time no Epi at all and try different positions. Maybe try to find a natural birth friendly doctor vs midwife, just in case. Every birth is differesnt, focus on what is to come, not on what happened last time.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
HuntersMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleahDeann View Post
I would try again, this time no Epi at all and try different positions. Maybe try to find a natural birth friendly doctor vs midwife, just in case. Every birth is differesnt, focus on what is to come, not on what happened last time.
Thank you girls for all the great advice!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My first born was a very scary experience. I didn't expect the pain to be so hard, and I I ended up with pain meds which made me feel worse in different ways, my labor and birthing positioning was not how I wanted it, but how the dr wanted it (flat on back with stirrups), shoulder distocia, blue unresponsive baby when born, and both me and baby were so tired after birth, it was awful.

I too considered c-sec with my second.

But, with my second, I was prepared, read about natural birthing, and learned labor and birthing positions that would work for ME. I wrote out a birthing plan, stayed home as long as possible when laboring (more comfy and relaxing that a hospital) and 3 hours before I had my dd, I went to the hospital, labored without any pain meds, and pushed while on my side. It took 13 min to push her out, and it was way more awesome!

With my 3rd, she was born early, and dr was in a hurry. He told me to start pushing when I was only 7 cm, and baby still high up. I was on my back, and so pushing took longer. Although unmedicated, I still had to push for 40 min. It was harder because my body didn't tell me it was time to push...the dr did.

So, when I had my 4th baby, I got rid of that DR!!! I got a midwife and she was awesome. I labored my way, and I was able to push when I said. She didn't tell me to push for 10 sec 3 times each contraction or anything. I wanted to push on my side (which was comfy for me). I pushed when I felt like it, and as long as I wanted to. I pushed him out in only 4 min!!! He even had the cord wrapped around his neck, body, and leg! I never tore or needed an episiotomy with my forth (unlike the other 3 when I tore and had episiotomies with each one!). What a difference.

Needless to say, I'm going with my midwife again.

My moral to the story is, you need to be in charge of your own labor plans. No one else can choose for you (except in certain circomstances of course). Find labor positions that work for you, and find what you think would be a great position to deliver. Do your research because each mama is different. I think with this time, i'd like to try to push while squatting.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My DS's labor was less than ideal but there wasn't anything that could have been done that wasn't done, IMO. He was face-up and we had trouble getting him to flip over to get in position. Eventually he did, but it took him many hours to do so.

Like you, I am terrified this time. I had several hemorrhages after having DS and, the first one in particular, was terrifying. I was convinced I was dying. I had to be re-admitted to the hospital while they tried to get the bleeding under control. If they couldn't, I was facing a hysterectomy...not what you want to hear when you have disparately wanted babies your whole life and just had your first one a week prior. Anyway, I eventually had to have surgery to remove a large fibroid that was causing my problems. But that surgery has created new risks for me this time and I am scared. Plus I am at an increased risk of hemorrhaging again. I am just trying to pray a lot - for peace for me and for wisdom for my doctor on how to best handle the situation. Beyond that, I have found a doctor that has a great reputation and I am just trusting him. I think finding the right OB or midwife is the most important thing, personally. You want someone who will listen to your concerns and address them.

Also, just a sidenote, size does not mean much in regards to the ability to deliver. Some women have tail ones that curve up a bit, though, and cause issues with delivery. I am also a very small woman (similar size to you) but, just being small does not necessarily mean that delivery will be more difficult. I talked extensively about this with my old OB. And I know several really tiny women who have easily birthed multiple children. Likewise, one of my larger-framed friends had an issue with her tailbone that made delivery of her kids difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
HuntersMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
My DS's labor was less than ideal but there wasn't anything that could have been done that wasn't done, IMO. He was face-up and we had trouble getting him to flip over to get in position. Eventually he did, but it took him many hours to do so.

Like you, I am terrified this time. I had several hemorrhages after having DS and, the first one in particular, was terrifying. I was convinced I was dying. I had to be re-admitted to the hospital while they tried to get the bleeding under control. If they couldn't, I was facing a hysterectomy...not what you want to hear when you have disparately wanted babies your whole life and just had your first one a week prior. Anyway, I eventually had to have surgery to remove a large fibroid that was causing my problems. But that surgery has created new risks for me this time and I am scared. Plus I am at an increased risk of hemorrhaging again. I am just trying to pray a lot - for peace for me and for wisdom for my doctor on how to best handle the situation. Beyond that, I have found a doctor that has a great reputation and I am just trusting him. I think finding the right OB or midwife is the most important thing, personally. You want someone who will listen to your concerns and address them.

Also, just a sidenote, size does not mean much in regards to the ability to deliver. Some women have tail ones that curve up a bit, though, and cause issues with delivery. I am also a very small woman (similar size to you) but, just being small does not necessarily mean that delivery will be more difficult. I talked extensively about this with my old OB. And I know several really tiny women who have easily birthed multiple children. Likewise, one of my larger-framed friends had an issue with her tailbone that made delivery of her kids difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Thank you, it's nice to hear words like this My mother only had problems with me (her first) and the other 3 went fine, so here's to hoping! Prayers for you and your little one, and hopefully both of us have a safe/healthy pregnancy and L&D