Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
Patchworktiner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Moms of strawberry babies

I mean skin strawberries. My son has 2 that showed up about 2 weeks after birth. It seems they have gotten redder each day. Also seems to be raising and getting a bit of texture.

Did the ones on your child go away? Did they grow bigger? Or just grow right along w your child?

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My daughter has one on her head. Her pediatrician said it's called hemangioma & not to worry about it.

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

My dd has one on her nose. It did quit growing by about 10 months or so. They said at a year it will start going down. She's 18 months and still no change in size. We've talked about getting it lasered off but don't know where to go for it it doesn't bother us but the comments we get in public and even from some family we don't like and don't want her to have to deal with that.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
luvsgreen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moms of strawberry babies

My hubby had one as a baby, on his back. It was dark and raised for years, then in his teen years it totally faded, but it looks like a scar. The skin isn't nice. Hope it goes away nicely for your son.

Handmade rustic home decor ~ https://www.facebook.com/asinglesparrow
luvsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My son had one on his head since birth. In the first year it got larger, redder, and raised, but in his second year (2 in March) it has flattened out and lightened in color. We are fortunate that it is on his head because his hair covers it now. I really forget it was ever there until I look at his baby pictures.

While not all hemangiomas disappear that quickly, they usually are gine by 5 years old. Most doctors won't do anything unless they are on the face and close to a vein and even then they usually eait until the child is older.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
mommagruber
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest ds had one on his neck. It wasn't solid, it was 'splotchy', dark red and it did become slightly raised. It appeared at about 2 months of age and dr called it a hemangioma. She said not to worry about it, it would fade away on it's own by around age 5. Well, at age 5 it was definately still there. It seems like around age 10 or 11 it started to fade, and now at age 13 I think it is pretty much gone.
www.hyenacart.com/littlebitbusy
mommagruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

All 4 of my children have had/currently have hemangiomas. DD1 had one on her cheek, it did get bigger but never huge and only slightly raised and was barely noticeable by her first birthday and gone by her second. DD2 had two, one on the back of her head and one on her labia. Both definitely grew during her first year then slowly shrunk and faded, she's 9 now and both are long gone. DD3 has two, one behind her knows and one on her labia. She is 19 months, the one behind her knee is very faint, the one on her labia is still the same (about the size of a blackberry) but doesn't bother her or interfere with anything. DS is 4 weeks old and has one on his calf, its definitely gotten darker but not raised much.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
LaurenAppenzeller
Registered Users
seller

I had one in the middle of my back as a baby and it grew with me from about the size of a nickel and disappeared sometime in my childhood I really don't remember. Now it is a dent the size of a golfball. It isn t that noticeable but I have had quite a lot of people ask what happened.
LaurenAppenzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
LaurenAppenzeller
Registered Users
seller

Oh and my cousin had one on his cheek as a baby same thing it disappeared in early childhood wasn't noticeable but his was dime size and remained that small but turned into an indentation. It never looked bad or anything he was a cute little boy and handsome teenager and adult. You couldn't tell it was there if you weren't looking for it so maybe it depends on where it is as far as if ifthe skin stretches out more bc my dent got big

Last edited by LaurenAppenzeller; 01-21-2013 at 09:59 AM.
LaurenAppenzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My niece has one on her hand and will need laser treatments for it. She is 9 months old. I had no idea before, but they can be invasive and the dictors were concerned about it affecting the nerves in her hand. It is something your pedi should be monitoring for sure.

PS hers is considered a port wine stain, though the appearance is similar to what you describe.

Last edited by juliasmom; 01-21-2013 at 10:24 AM.
juliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote