Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
Palooka's Avatar
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,449
My Mood:
WWYD: family forgot my son's 1st birthday

So honestly, would you say anything? Be mad? Just forget it?

We sent birthday invitations to my parents and siblings (all siblings are older than I am). Not a single person in my family responded or even acknowledged receiving the invitations. No one called on his birthday. No one sent a card. Nothing. It's been nearly a week since he turned 1 and none of his grandparents, aunts, uncles or cousins (on my side) has acknowledged the event. I'm not surprised, this is just like them, and I'm inclined to ignore it and not mention it to them at all unless they bring it up. I'm just disappointed enough to let it be another lesson to me, and 90% of me wants to forget it and move on. The other 10% wants to get all mama-bear on them.


Advertisement

Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,873
My Mood:
Re: WWYD: family forgot my son's 1st birthday

I am really not sure how I would handle that but man they are awful people!
__________________
Just in case.
MDever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Hillargh
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,903
My Mood:
If it doesn't surprise you, and they often act inconsiderately this way, I would just let it go and not bother inviting them to anything else. Their response would probably just make you angrier, and not accomplish anything.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
BSWmama's Avatar
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,702
Re: WWYD: family forgot my son's 1st birthday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc View Post
So honestly, would you say anything? Be mad? Just forget it?

We sent birthday invitations to my parents and siblings (all siblings are older than I am). Not a single person in my family responded or even acknowledged receiving the invitations. No one called on his birthday. No one sent a card. Nothing. It's been nearly a week since he turned 1 and none of his grandparents, aunts, uncles or cousins (on my side) has acknowledged the event. I'm not surprised, this is just like them, and I'm inclined to ignore it and not mention it to them at all unless they bring it up. I'm just disappointed enough to let it be another lesson to me, and 90% of me wants to forget it and move on. The other 10% wants to get all mama-bear on them.


Wow, that's crazy! I can't believe they didn't even RVSP. I thought usually grandparents lived for that stuff. Do they live nearby? But, yeah, I would just move on because what else can you do? Obviously, your son's feelings aren't hurt since he's too little so I'm not sure what good it would do to chew them out. Just don't invite them to anything.
BSWmama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,975
Ate they out of town? My family would never do this but they're in town...
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Tina5834's Avatar
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 11,370
My Mood:
My husbands family sometimes forgets y children's bdays because we don't do huge parties. I just let it go and try and make their bday extra special with us.
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,398
My Mood:
Re: WWYD: family forgot my son's 1st birthday

I would say something to my parents like, "Did y'all get the invite to DS's bday? No one called or even mentioned it and it was a big deal for us." They need to know, but I wouldn't push it further. We have some family like this and I know it'll eat me up if I'm upset. Even if they don't care, you've tried and you won't get your hopes up next time
__________________
Cindy wife to B Mommy to C 3/10 S 3/11 K 4/13 due 10/15
cdeweese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
eljube112's Avatar
eljube112
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 4,195
My Mood:
Re: WWYD: family forgot my son's 1st birthday

I'm so sorry mama. I probably wouldn't say anything, but wouldn't be sending invites to the next event either.
__________________
Elaine, SAHM to E (11/07), J (8/09), A (2/11), G (11/12)

We're expecting #5! "Quinn" coming July 2014!

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,212
Re: WWYD: family forgot my son's 1st birthday

wow, im sorry mama! If it doesnt surprise you then they sound like a bunch of jerks! I would just let it go, obviously they dont care id probably never invite them to anything ever again though

I hope your little guy had a great bday anyway!
__________________
Mom to boys
DS1 (07/10) DS2 (10/11) DS3 (03/13)
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,212
Re: WWYD: family forgot my son's 1st birthday

wow, im sorry mama! If it doesnt surprise you then they sound like a bunch of jerks! I would just let it go, obviously they dont care id probably never invite them to anything ever again though

I hope your little guy had a great bday anyway!
__________________
Mom to boys
DS1 (07/10) DS2 (10/11) DS3 (03/13)
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.