Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #81
momto2princesses
Registered Users

Re: Newborn stash planning anyone?

I think 36 is a great number. That's what I'm shooting for this time.

Advertisement

Kirra, mom to my three crazy girls, Maebelle (12/22/07) and Adelaide (2/26/10-my HBAC baby!) and Etta (8/7/13) and expecting little squish #4 (sometime in 4/16)
momto2princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #82
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm. I'm seeing the dimensions of the newborn PFs are the same as infant PFs, just with fewer layers. I already have a bunch of infant PFs in my stash, so maybe it's not worth spending the extra $$ on newborns? It seems like the infant size would be bulky on a newb, though...
Old 02-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #83
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm going to wait a few more weeks and then I think I'll "explode" with my diaper buying

I do have dibs on a few that my friends have. They are due Feb and April so they'll be out of them by the end of August.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #84
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was planning on making 24 newborn diapers this time. Why are people thinking 36 is better? Sorry this is a long thread and will take me a while to get through.

I had 12 with my son (plus 24 green edge prefolds) and I hated going to the prefolds with him and 12 was clearly too few. So I though 24 with the green edge prefolds would be good. Am I not thinking clearly? It wouldn't be the first time.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #85
stevensmom
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
I was planning on making 24 newborn diapers this time. Why are people thinking 36 is better? Sorry this is a long thread and will take me a while to get through.

I had 12 with my son (plus 24 green edge prefolds) and I hated going to the prefolds with him and 12 was clearly too few. So I though 24 with the green edge prefolds would be good. Am I not thinking clearly? It wouldn't be the first time.
I don't know why 36 is the number. I'm thinking that newbies use at least 12-16 diapers a day and using 36 will give you enough for 2 days with enough while the rest are in the wash?

We were part time cloth when Em was newbie, didn't go full time until she was 2 months. And our stash was only about 12.
Swag with me! Bing it!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #86
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah my kiddo used to poop like 15 times a day for the first couple months. We never would have been able to exclusively CD with just 2 dozen diapers. We didn't CD full time until he was at least a couple months old anyway, because I never bought newborn diapers and the OS were just so huge on him!
Old 02-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #87
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

I was thinking 36 because if I end up changing 12-15 times a day, I can still wash every other day comfortably. I've ended up with 39, I think that will do just fine! Probably overkill, but oh well, will be selling them once they are outgrown anyways.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #88
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwifenmama View Post
Hmm. I'm seeing the dimensions of the newborn PFs are the same as infant PFs, just with fewer layers. I already have a bunch of infant PFs in my stash, so maybe it's not worth spending the extra $$ on newborns? It seems like the infant size would be bulky on a newb, though...
What brand(s) are you looking at? I know that my newborn GMDs are definitely smaller than the generic "infant" size I have...

I don't think I'll need any more than 20 newborn diapers, I'll have 2 in diapers and, based on past experience, will need to wash daily. Although if DD miraculously potty trains before the new baby comes I won't be upset about buying more so we can go longer in between. I think 30-36 is a good number for washing every other day without worrying about running out.

Last edited by sisu; 02-02-2013 at 03:43 PM.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #89
stevensmom
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm thinking maybe I'll "try" and make some nb diapers for babe...we'll see
Swag with me! Bing it!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #90
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom

I don't know why 36 is the number. I'm thinking that newbies use at least 12-16 diapers a day and using 36 will give you enough for 2 days with enough while the rest are in the wash?

We were part time cloth when Em was newbie, didn't go full time until she was 2 months. And our stash was only about 12.
Yep, your logic is correct. If we had fewer than 36, would have had to wash every day. Even with 36, we had to wash every other day, right on schedule or we wouldn't have had enough.
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote