View Poll Results: Do your daughters wear underwear under leotards?
yes 31 50.82%
no 30 49.18%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #31
NYCVeg
Registered Users
seller

Re: Leotard question, underwear or no?

Dd does not wear underwear under her gymnastics leo. As far as I can tell, most girls at her gym don't. One or two girls do, but it's always sticking way out.

Advertisement

NYCVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #32
jacksmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

hmm interesting, we have this problem every week as dd's undlies hang out but i never thought of her not wearing any lol
Old 01-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #33
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

My daughter is almost 8. She would wear tights and a leotard for dance. In gymnastics she wears a leo with nothing underneath. Sometimes she wears matching bike-style shorts. My daughter started in early competition gymnastics this year and this is pretty much true of all of the girls on her team. Many of the teenage girls wear the GK underwear or spankies that are make for leos.

We do see a lot of undies sticking out of leos in the rec classes. It doesn't look as cute, but at that age and level, I think you should do whatever makes your LO comfortable.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #34
AngelTV83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My dd is 6 and wears underwear to gymnastics and they don't show except through her white Leo because it is see threw all the girls wear unders some hang out some don't.

Due May 2013
AngelTV83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #35
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I don't have a girl and I do see lots of girls wearing undies under there leotard at younger gymnastics but not all. I HATE IT. It looks so stupid. I think if you are going to have your child wear undies under a leotard then have her wear spandex shorts too. Underwear is not suppose to be out where everyone can see it! Pet peeve!

Why do it? It's not going to catch a pee any better? Why does a young girl have to keep her undies on and look stupid? The ONLY reason I see is that alot of them change out in the open into there leotards.... change at home, in the bathroom, or wear shorts in my opinion.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #36
jenbo831
Registered Users
seller
seller

No for both dance and gymnastics. And fwiw I am a gymnastics coach.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #37
mkrisel
Registered Users

No underwear for gymnastics either. Lots if little kids do, but your not "supposed" to. I did gymnastics competitively for years and coached. We laughed that you wore underwear when you were a little girl and then again when you were older and started your period.
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #38
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody
I was a high level gymnast. We always wore underpants. They had to be flesh colored (for meets) and be the same cut. We also used special glue to keep our leotards and undies from moving.

During practice we could wear any kind of undies. I dont know any girls that didnt wear panties when I was in gym. We were all pretty modest though.
Ahh, spankies and butt glue.

Like Katie, I always wore underwear for gymnastics as did most of my teammates. We wore "spankies" for meets and whatever underwear for practice. For practice, most of us wore bike shorts with our leos anyway. For dance, it usually depended on what I was wearing. If it was jazz or hip hop which I usually wore pants for, I usually wore underwear. Ballet, usually no underwear. Although, I don't remember anyone ever telling me to wear them or not.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 AM   #39
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s
Well I don't have a girl and I do see lots of girls wearing undies under there leotard at younger gymnastics but not all. I HATE IT. It looks so stupid. I think if you are going to have your child wear undies under a leotard then have her wear spandex shorts too. Underwear is not suppose to be out where everyone can see it! Pet peeve!

Why do it? It's not going to catch a pee any better? Why does a young girl have to keep her undies on and look stupid? The ONLY reason I see is that alot of them change out in the open into there leotards.... change at home, in the bathroom, or wear shorts in my opinion.
Wow...they are 6. Its just underpants. Why does it bother you so much to see a childs underwear under a leotard? How can a 6 year old look stupid?

Sorry but I prefer my children behinds covered completely and leotards just dont do that.

I did gymnastics at Cathy Corrigans for years and we all wore underpants.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 AM   #40
77Lipen
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s

Well... Because they are 6... And the likelihood of a pristine bum wipe is not exactly perfected by then... The next time they scratch their butts the poo stain will be on their panties, not on their leotard.

Or i forgot to wipe after a pee dribble.

And poo stains still happen at 6... As do pee dribble stains.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote