Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Katledoodle
Registered Users
seller

cost of homeschooling

My daughter is only 14mo, so this is way preemptive... but I am thinking about homeschooling her when the time comes. I was just wondering about the costs that you accrue. Any advice? Words of wisdom?

Advertisement

Katledoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: cost of homeschooling

I think it depends on each family. Some families do it for free while others spend fortune. There are lots of options out there. Lots of great and expensive curriculum and supplements, and lots of free resources. From my little experience, using free resources requires some more looking into and putting together by yourself (depending on what you use too).

Many families share and swap homeschooling curriculum, or buy used ones. Ladies here can direct you to great online places to buy used homeschooling curriculum. (you can buy used homeschooling materials here on diaperswappers.com as well.)

Depending on what you decide to do, investing on a printer that helps you print for low cost (I use brother printer and chap ink from ebay).

Last edited by angel nee nee; 01-23-2013 at 06:36 PM.
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

while they are still Preschool age up to probably K/1st I'd imagine (my oldest is only 5) so I'm going on my own experience...it is pretty easy to do it for free b/c kids learn so much just from play, life experiences and you, and well as you can get so much off the internet and from the library that my biggest challenge honestly is NOT spending money on all these fabulous resources out there b/c in truth, we really don't NEED them. they just look so fun to me. My kids are doing just fine learning and taking in so much, and we haven't spent much up to this point at all.

we have waited up to this point (my DD is 5, DS one is almost 4) to get into much extra curricular stuff, but this year's HS money I am going to be putting toward ballet/soccer/swim lessons instead of lots of curriculum, b/c I think that kind of stuff will benefit them more right now.
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rugrats View Post
while they are still Preschool age up to probably K/1st I'd imagine (my oldest is only 5) so I'm going on my own experience...it is pretty easy to do it for free b/c kids learn so much just from play, life experiences and you, and well as you can get so much off the internet and from the library that my biggest challenge honestly is NOT spending money on all these fabulous resources out there b/c in truth, we really don't NEED them. they just look so fun to me. My kids are doing just fine learning and taking in so much, and we haven't spent much up to this point at all.

we have waited up to this point (my DD is 5, DS one is almost 4) to get into much extra curricular stuff, but this year's HS money I am going to be putting toward ballet/soccer/swim lessons instead of lots of curriculum, b/c I think that kind of stuff will benefit them more right now.
Mine are the same age and I agree.

I love the bells and whistles, but not necessary at this point.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a 5th grader, a kindergardener, and a preschooler. We spend almost nothing. Most of our books are given to use from friends or I buy them for a couple of dollars each online. A lot of our history and science comes from library books. I also get lots of ideas and worksheets from online.
I buy printer paper, ink and pencils at the begining of the school year. Crayons, colored pencils, markers and things like that as needed.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a 5th grader, a kindergardener, and a preschooler. We spend almost nothing. Most of our books are given to use from friends or I buy them for a couple of dollars each online. A lot of our history and science comes from library books. I also get lots of ideas and worksheets from online.
I buy printer paper, ink and pencils at the begining of the school year. Crayons, colored pencils, markers and things like that as needed.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

This year on basic curriculum, I spent $350-400. That was for 7th, 4th, and kindergarten. I could've done it cheaper, had I wanted to. So long as I have the funds for it, I like being able to get the curriculum I think will work well for my kids and that I like. I don't care to put the effort into finding things used, as it's so hit and miss (depending on what you decide to use). I like ordering everything at one time so I know I didn't miss anything.

But, you could do it (even the higher grades) for very little if you choose to or need to. We do use the library a lot. And, by the time my oldest graduates, I will be spending very little on the younger two, because I will have already bought everything. They will just be needing the consumables, which typically aren't very expensive.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You really can spend as much or as little as you want. Right now, I only have one who is in a formal curriculum. He is in 1st. I spent about $250-$300. I don't remember. I have 6 kids total and I expect at the height of our HS'ing years, I'll be spending well over $500 very possibly even close to $1000.

I have no desire to do all the work involved in making your own or putting free together. But, I am also definitely not getting the most expensive curriculum either. But, I would if I believed it was the best.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #9
glupton
Registered Users
seller

Up until at least K, the only cost is really arts/crafts supplies, and even many of those things you can do for free/cheap using recycled materials and whatnot, but I do think having lots of arts/crafts things to do is important for the early years After that, it just depends on how frugal you want to be (i.e. use the library instead of buying books, buying used vs. buying new, and so on...)
Old 01-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
For k we spent maybe 50-75 dollars and a lot of that was art supplies. If you have a good printers and access to a library you can home school for very little!