Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
mommyto3sweeties
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: cost of homeschooling

I spent about $200 to homeschool a first grader this year.

Advertisement

mommyto3sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
MakingHome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It can be as inexpensive (free) or as expensive (think fancy co-ops plus online schools plus materials plus tutors plus manipulatives plus testing... Etc) as you want to make it.

I have done literature-based curricula where you purchase all the books (we lived overseas at the time and thus had no access to English libraries), and those can run $600-1200 depending on grade level and what all subjects and options you include.

This year we've done plain workbook stuff, picked up on clearance at half price books which has cost us less than $100 total for homeschooling 4 of my 5 children for the year. I am weaving in literature we've purchased in years past but all workbooks and math books, etc all cost us hardly anything.

Just last week I heard about a curriculum called "Easy-peasy curriculum" that's all online, all free, and apparently quite comprehensive.

So seriously you can do it at any level you want to do. And it is not a spend more=get better educated children sort of equation.

Have fun researching and learning as you get closer to looking into your real options!

I aim to encourage Christian women at Making Home.
MakingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:03 AM   #13
Gaiaschild
Registered Users
seller

Your little one is still young. Rather than focus on cost, I'd suggest researching the different options and methods. Do you want a more school at home approach? Look into virtual schooling. Maybe child-led learning appeals to you. Try unschooling or unit studies. Would you wish more of a rigorous and structured approach than public schools? Look into neo-classical education. There's so many ways to homeschool that cost really means nothing unless you have an idea of how you want to do it and what age your student is.

This might help: http://homeschooling.about.com/cs/ho.../a/methods.htm
Gaiaschild is offline   Reply With Quote