Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
cathplyr
Registered Users
seller

Re: homeschooling with newborn

I have one only- 14 months. and I always imagined that I would homeschool another kid for "free" along with mine if the mom would drop off an older child as well to watch all the younger ones I may have at the time. I'm sure someone somewhere has worked this out and I wonder if it would be as easy as it sounds. I just hate being interrupted and I think I would be a better teacher if I wasnt babysitting too. but then you loose the flexibility and have a rigid schedule. wow, I am getting a few years ahead of myself.

Advertisement

cathplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for your input everyone. and Thanks Kristin for remembering me.
You ladies are such inspiration! I have to do my best for my children too with homeschooling.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest is 5 1/2 so we are not doing anything super structured or difficult yet but here is a glimpse into our day. So we have a 5 1/2 year old, 4 year old, 2 1/2 year old and 6 month old and at least 3x a week we do a more formal "learning time", every day includes some sort of learning or craft but here is what we do on our more productive days. We wake up, the kids pick 1-2 shows to watch, we eat breakfast and get ready for the day and I am usually getting some minimal cleaning done while popping on and off DS Between 930-10 We all sit in our homeschooling room at the table and sing a little song (my youngest is usually in the ergo asleep) saying goodmorning to eachother, then the days of the week song, we change our calendar and talk about the weather then talk about whatever I have planned, so today for instance it was before 5 in a row, and we were starting the snowy day book. I have a tray with their drinks and a snack all ready to go on my counter so after all that I run downstairs to get that (and more coffee for myself lol) and then i bring their snack back up and they eat while i read the book. Then we move onto whatever hands on activity i have planned and today it was the snowy day lapbook which my 2 big girls basically do on their own but my 2 1 /2 year old son did color one of the pages until he got bored then I pulled out some puzzles to keep him busy while i help the girls with their lapbook. I also always have a sensory bin (winter themed right now) so my son will occupy his time with that. I probably stop 2-3x in a 3 hr period to help my son pee or entertain him and another 2-3x during that 3 hr period to stop to change the babys diaper lol. At 12 we go back downstairs for lunch, my son naps around 130-330 and the baby usually does too so i get whatever i need to get done usually diaper laundry and also prep dinner. I have about an hour to do something with my older girls, whether it is a craft or just playing and then once my son wakes up we have another small snack and pick something to do, again it might just be playtime but more often they pick whatever sensory bin we have out for the week, playdough, a craft, painting etc. If it wasn't winter we would have a lot more outside time but that doesnt happen much right now It is definitely difficult with little ones in the mix but at least for me this is a huge reason we picked homeschooling because it is soooo flexible. There is nothing that we have to do! If everyone is having a bad day, or we are sick, or just dont feel like doing anything but curling up reading books all morning we can! I am sure it will get a bit tougher as they get older and have more stuctured things they have to do (and we continue to add more babies to the family lol) but then again it might not be, i intend to be pretty laid back but we shall see! If you don't already i would find a baby carrier you really like because i could not survive without my ergo! my babies always nap better and longer on me in a carrier and i can get so much done handsfree!
Old 01-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
Melaine
Registered Users
seller

Subbing. My DS is 9 months old and this is my first year homeschooling my 6 twins, they are in kindergarten. It's been a huge struggle for me. DS is a difficult baby, he has MSPI, and various other health issues and is a truly awful sleeper. He takes two 20 minute naps a day. He is really not happy without being constantly held and entertained, so fitting school in has been hard. I feel like we are doing OK for K but I'm definitely concerned about next year if DS continues to be so needy.

Totally new to cloth, so any advice and info is much appreciated!
Melaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
cathplyr
Registered Users
seller

Deirdre brought up an important topic I am wondering about: what to do w/the kiddies during winter. I live in florida and our "winters" start in may when we get "sunned in" and "mosquitoed in" until october. picture a steam room full of mosquitoes. I am so dreading that time of year w/a toddler. How are you ladies dealing with homeschooling kids during winter?
cathplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #16
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've done it 4 times. This last time was extremely hard. It's not the newborn that's the problem.....it's the two toddler boys that are all....over....the....place! Dont stop trying different things. Don't give up, and know that it does get better. If you have to stick the basics.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
prairiewindmomma
Registered Users

I've been homeschooling for several years now. I've had three babies in that time, and currently have a newborn. When all of my kids were younger, school took less time. Now that I have older children as well....school takes more time but they are also available to reliably watch baby while I'm in the shower, etc.

I wear baby a lot in a mobywrap, and I try to limit errand running to one day a week.
prairiewindmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #18
MakingHome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiewindmomma View Post
I've been homeschooling for several years now. I've had three babies in that time, and currently have a newborn. When all of my kids were younger, school took less time. Now that I have older children as well....school takes more time but they are also available to reliably watch baby while I'm in the shower, etc.

I wear baby a lot in a mobywrap, and I try to limit errand running to one day a week.
Yes I agree with this. I am due with baby #6 in three weeks, and homeschooling with a newborn really isn't the daunting part. I've just gotten over the toddler "hump" (the difficulty of homeschooling with an 18-30 month old) with ds-nearly-3. It's that age that is more difficult... Keeping them (cheerfully) occupied in the high chair coloring, in a pack and play with toys, in the playroom with an older sibling, etc. they're just so stinking BUSY!!

But little newborns that sleep, nurse, look around for 15-30 minutes, and then sleep some more are delightful and kind of fold right in to the family norms and routines.

I aim to encourage Christian women at Making Home.
MakingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #19
MakingHome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wanted to add: we do take a few-6 weeks off from any formal approach to schooling with a newborn until *I* feel completely up for it. So I do work our schedule around my ability to do it, but that is a far easier prospect than 18 moths later with a busy, inquisitive, get-into-everything scavenging-through-the-cabinets-in-seconds-if-I'm-not-watching toddler.

I aim to encourage Christian women at Making Home.
MakingHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #20
Gaiaschild
Registered Users
seller

One and two are a year and a half apart, mostly. Number three was 7 years after number two. Newborn months were not a problem because he mostly slept through them. It's toddler time that's becoming an issue. As I told dh tonight, I will prolly need workbooks by 2.5 yo so he can feel like he's also doing school. :dizzy:
Gaiaschild is offline   Reply With Quote