Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2007, 04:23 AM   #1
CamoMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
MT carriers--tell me about 'em!

I've been eyeing these carriers like forever, I love the look and how they seem to be so useful for different carries. I've only used (not very successfully) a ring sling and the commercial front-carriers like the Snugli and Infantimo, so I don't really have much experience babywearing. However, I DO have tons of baby-carrying experience, as my 7mo doesn't ever want to be put down, and neither did my last DD!

So tell me what you like about MT's. Do your DC like them? How easy are they to use (I'm all toes when it comes to things that require coordination, it seems), and are instructions easy to find online? OH, and tell me where to get one that is affordable, please! I've showed DH some of the ones on the FSOT here, and he has said absolutely NO WAY are we spending big bucks on a piece of fabric that you tie around you.

Are they hard to make? I'm not a champion seamstress, but I am pretty handy with a sewing machine, so would a MT be something I could throw together pretty easily?

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2007, 04:47 AM   #2
Amanda2319
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: MT carriers--tell me about 'em!

I love our Mei Tai's, DH and I use them all the time. I carry my 31 lb 3 y/o still, in a hip carry. For my 8 month old, it's front face, forward facing, or back carry. It takes some getting used to, but I can get her in and out in 10 seconds now.

Amanda2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
aran_knitter
Registered Users

Check out this website: http://www.mamatoto.org/

I wasn't sure how DD would like being "worn," so I didn't want to spend much on a carrier. All commercial ones failed (I have back/neck/shoulder related migraine issues.) They were far to uncomfortable.

I made my own wrap following these easy instructions: http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=121
I used a 40% off coupon at JoAnns... I may have spent $20 or so for the 5 yards. I bought a heavier cotton jersey - it works great, but I think I want a lighter gauze-type fabric for the summer.

I used this http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=180
method of wrapping her. (the second)

I have received so many comments from people... it really is very comfortable, especially when you fan out the fabric on your shoulders and around the baby. It helps distribute the weight evenly. I have never had sore shoulders!

http://bruisedreed.wordpress.com/
aran_knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:19 AM   #4
janaj42
Registered Users

My Mood:

I Love my MT- my 10 month old ds does too. I wear him front and back.

I have a babyhawk- around $60 without any fancy add ons.

Is there any way you could borrow one from somebody? That way you could see if it could work, then buy your own? Maybe this would make you feel better about spending the money.

I have a babyhawk (which comes with great directions) and I love it!

And remember, they have a great resale value here or on thebabywearer.com.
janaj42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
mamavegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My husband thinks that all of my carriers are magical, because they nearly instantly calm the baby down if he's upset. So, now that he's seen the 'magic' of my carriers, he thinks they're well worth the $$ spent.

I started off with a pouch when DS was a newborn, then moved on to wrapping - which I love, and have recently gotten started with MTs. We LOVE our mei tai!! It's perfect for the summer heat and sooo comfy. DS loves it, too. It's manly enough that even DH will wear it. So yeah, get a MT you won't regret it. If for some reason you really don't like it (which I doubt) you can easily sell it here or on TBW.

We have a babyhawk reversible. One side for me, the other side for hubby - but still for me.

Good luck! Get one while your DC still *wants* to be carried. The time is so fleeting.