Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:
Very close to buying a yurt...will be hanging out in here a lot.

My husband and I moved our family to Hawaii almost 8 months ago and we are now looking to buy some land and put a yurt on it. I have hoarding tendencies but moving from Ohio and only being able to bring as much as I could fit in suitcases plus the few boxes that we shipped took care of 99% of the clutter.

I am excited and nervous all at the same time. I'm going to be in here a lot looking for ways to maximize our space. The yurt (the biggest one) we are looking at is 706sq ft. We are a family of 6 living in a 3/1 space right now with only a kitchenette and my husband works from home so technically we only have 2 bedrooms. I have gotten used to living in this small space and outside is ALWAYS an option so that opens things up.

Sorry so scattered...my three big ones just came in from the trampoline. I look forward to what I can learn from you all.

Advertisement

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Very close to buying a yurt...will be hanging out in here a lot.

Wow what a fun adventure! I didn't know yurts came that big. Here, they have them at the coast and places that you can rent, and they're all round and probably about 20-30 feet across. I would worry about the heat - but if you're in Hawaii you'll probably be just fine. My MIL stayed in one for a year, and that was the worst winter of her life with 3 feet of snow on the ground for a month then an entire spring of rain nearly every day. Hawaii on the other hand, you'll be set!

You know that I'm expecting pictures right? The COL of living is pretty high there, so between that and moving, and staying in a smaller space you should have plenty of motivation to stay decluttered. GL
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ooo, I'll look forward to pics too! How exciting!
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
smplmama
Registered Users
seller

Very cool! Can't wait to read about it!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think you are nuts! i have 5 kids and we barely have enough space now but then again, if we could be outside more, we would not need as much space. its just that our winters last 6 months. maybe get the yurt and then add on? i think with any building you buy that you put together, you could modify and mold to your needs. but for sanity reasons, I think it would be best to have a bit more space for a family of 6.

you have an amazing adventure ahead of you by just moving to hawaii!!
thought about it myself. still stuck in Northern US :/
Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
This sounds like such an amazing adventure. Good luck!

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My only caution (as a mother of 6) is that while 700 may be adequate while they are little, as they grow the need for more space and more privacy grows with them.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
firemommaof1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How awesome!!! What a fun adventure. I would totally do this if I lived there too.
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014
firemommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgkcb13 View Post
Ooo, I'll look forward to pics too! How exciting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smplmama View Post
Very cool! Can't wait to read about it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickshep19 View Post
This sounds like such an amazing adventure. Good luck!

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemommaof1 View Post
How awesome!!! What a fun adventure. I would totally do this if I lived there too.

I think I may start a blog but I'll update here too. Thanks mamas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemom View Post
My only caution (as a mother of 6) is that while 700 may be adequate while they are little, as they grow the need for more space and more privacy grows with them.
Thank you for your insight. We hadn't thought of this specifically (and it's a very valid point) but we we did agree that we will be buying land that will accommodate adding a second one just for sleeping quarters in the future -- I guess we were halfway there! -- that way there will be plenty of space for privacy.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Old 01-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not sure why these didn't multi-quote. Let's keep going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspopo View Post
Wow what a fun adventure! I didn't know yurts came that big. Here, they have them at the coast and places that you can rent, and they're all round and probably about 20-30 feet across. I would worry about the heat - but if you're in Hawaii you'll probably be just fine. My MIL stayed in one for a year, and that was the worst winter of her life with 3 feet of snow on the ground for a month then an entire spring of rain nearly every day. Hawaii on the other hand, you'll be set!

You know that I'm expecting pictures right? The COL of living is pretty high there, so between that and moving, and staying in a smaller space you should have plenty of motivation to stay decluttered. GL
This is the 30' one which has 706 sq ft! We are living in a total of about 750 sq ft (I measured our place last night!) that is 26 feet long and about 23 wide not including the office, so it won't be any different really. We eat outside on the lanai -- porch -- and would continue to do that. It can get chilly here but we don't have a heating system so we just know to bundle up for bed in the "winter" months. Snow -- yeah, not so much, we aren't planning on building at the summit of the mountain!!!

Pictures will follow for sure! The COL is high here but it is easily offset by living a simple life. We were living simply in Ohio. We have always been a one car family and the exchange for the heating bill is the cost of food. Being able to grow some of our own food and collect eggs would of course help that bill though!

So far I'm doing well staying decluttered. We don't have much (we moved into a furnished place so we have picked up things here and there at yard sales so that we have some things when we move out).

I hope I've been clear. Feel free to challenge me on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
i think you are nuts! i have 5 kids and we barely have enough space now but then again, if we could be outside more, we would not need as much space. its just that our winters last 6 months. maybe get the yurt and then add on? i think with any building you buy that you put together, you could modify and mold to your needs. but for sanity reasons, I think it would be best to have a bit more space for a family of 6.

you have an amazing adventure ahead of you by just moving to hawaii!!
thought about it myself. still stuck in Northern US :/
I am nuts, but that was evident LONG before this! :P Coming from Ohio with winter sometimes lasting 6 months as well -- which is a BIG reason we moved -- I am completely empowered by having outdoor living all year long. I posted in the post before but we plan to eventually have 2 yurts but with our place being what it is now (750ish in our living space) it's not much different.

Make the move. Getting here was the hardest part but my husband and I were dreaming about it for the 8 long years that we were away. We always knew we end up back here and we are so happy with our decision.