Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:

Ok I don't know if they are bad or not ready or what but....
I thought I was supposed to "harvest" them when the tops started to brown and topple over. That happened last week so I checked two and they are super soggy and though they do have lots of lush green on the top and segments of tops there is only one bulb still. Like from the top of the dirt it looks like the bulbs multiplied hugely but once I pull it out it's just that one measely little bulb. What did I do wrong? Do they need longer? Any help appreciated.

Natasha - married to my soul's mate Ryan, mama to my heart's songs Aumi born at home in the water 7.14.10 & Livity also born at home in the water and in the caul! 11.28.12

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
If you planted last fall I think your early I could be wrong though.
wife to my hard working oil patch hunny hershalmama to abigail 2-12-10and big sis elizabeth 4-21-03
okiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Shallots

Is this what you are wanting?

I always getconfused with thenamesbecause I grew up calling them winter onions. We trim the tip and tip where root is, eat with beans. Mine have never gotten bigger than the ones in the pic. I plant from seed. Did you do bulbs? If so I believe you will just get multiplication, seeds, and a bit of growth to the bulb. Now reg onions, I do bulbs and sets. I wait till the tops of those die.
Here is another variety:
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote