Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
*Summer*
Registered Users
seller

Switching from bottles to sippy cups....?

I know this question really isn't about introducing solids, but I didn't know where else to put it. I have been trying to switch my 13 month old for a couple of weeks from his bottles to sippy cups with no luck. He will occasionally drink juice from a sippy, but he refuses to drink milk from them. He takes one drink, and when he finds out it is milk, he refuses to drink anymore. I have tried every sippy cup out there, except Born Free which is coming in the mail tomorrow. Should I just pack up the bottles and switch him cold turkey? The only thing I am worried about is he is already less than 3% on the growth charts, and I hate the idea of him skipping meals. Or should I let him have his bottles a little longer and not worry about it?

Advertisement

*Summer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
sandra72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Switching from bottles to sippy cups....?

If it were me I'd just give him the bottles for awhile longer. Sounds like you have tried everything else you could do.
sandra72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
saturn
Registered Users

I don't know if this would help, but when we were transitioning my dd from breastmilk in bottles to cow's milk in a sippy, I bought a new kind of sippy (a larger straw cup) and added a bit of baby yogurt to her milk. The yogurt sweetened the milk, so it helped get her to drink it. Then I gradually phased out the yogurt so now she drinks plain milk. If your son has been drinking other drinks out of the sippy cup before, maybe getting a new kind of sippy for milk would help. Sometimes I think that toddlers get used to expecting that a certain cup will contain a certain drink and don't like it when the drink is not what they expected.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
mkrisel
Registered Users

Our daughter didn't figure out a sippy cup until she was 18 months old-and she hit every other physical milestone on the early side. And she didn't figure out a straw until 2.5 years. I stressed and spent a fortune on sippy cups. We started offering one at 6 months. She would violently refuse it. Sorry, I have no advice but just be patient. It's not worth the stress!
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
OP, are you putting bm, formula, or cows milk in the sippy?
Our DD was the same way - water in the sippy was absolutely okay. We kept the bm in bottles until my pumped stash ran out... And then bm-in-bottles went away.
Maybe try offering milk in a small open cup (that you hold for LO).
Good news, this too shall probably pass - milk is now allowed in sippies around here...
Old 05-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
LauraI
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you tried straw sippy cups? Or just plain non-sippy cups? I had best of luck with the Take N Toss straw cups.
LauraI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
mamacita1222
Registered Users

We had a slightly different issue. I always breastfed (straight from the tap) but tried to introduce the sippy cup at 5 months (then solids at 6 mo). My DS didn't get it. He couldn't get the water out. When he had a terrible bout with constipation at 7.5 months it suddenly became important that he really get the water out. I ended up with 6 sippy cups he didn't understand and even tried cutting the nipple of a bottle. We started helping him drink from a very small 2 ounce container. He loves drinking from a cup. It is something he does with Daddy. Then I found this last week and at almost 9 months he can use it by himself. http://m.toysrus.com/skava/static/pr...ww.toysrus.com
mamacita1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We never did sippy cups. She went from boob/bottle to straws, then to regular cups. She never had a problem using the straw vs the bottle, and it's way easier to carry a few straws in my bag than a sippy. Pouch foods helped her transition, I think - she got the hang of gogosqueeze very early
Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
hollyhock
Registered Users
seller

Sippy cups did not work for us either, but our son took to straw cups right away. I know other moms who have gone directly to open cups with just a few days of practice.
hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Our son did best going from breast to regular cup. Then he learned to use a straw sippy. At almost 2 he still can't figure out a regular sippy.