Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question Edamame?

I will typically feed DS a little of what we are eating, the other night we had Asian and i gave him some tastes of edamame, he loved it. Since then he's eaten it pretty frequently. Today my friend informed me I need to stop immediately because it will cause him to be infertil and make it penis shrink. I don't see the harm if he is only eating 1TBS or so. Has anyone else given their children edamame?

Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
solobluedancer
Registered Users
seller
seller

That sounds like a bit of misinformation to me. I'm sure it's probably fine. We eat it here too. I think the concern is that soy can mimic estrogen in the body. But I'm sure your sons penis isn't going to fall off.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
whl6
Registered Users

Re: Edamame?

I've never heard that. The only thing I've heard about soy is that some people introduce it later because lots of people have soy allergies. But if you've been feeding him edamame for a while and haven't seen any adverse reactions, I'd imagine you're fine.
whl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
saturn
Registered Users

Re: Edamame?

Wow, that's pretty over the top. Basically, some people have raised concerns about infants eating soy products because it has plant estrogens. However, this is more in the context of infants on soy formula, where soy proteins make up a large part of their diet, and even in that case there isn't a ton of evidence that it is harmful. Then some of the internet quack sites latched onto the issue and started making pronouncements like "eating soy will make your baby's penis shrivel". I would not worry about a baby eating some soy foods as part of a regular diet.
Here's an article that summarizes the soy "controversy":
http://www.sfgate.com/health/article...es-2514190.php
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote