Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
mommy2boys2007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How do you find a Dr or midwife?

I just moved to Athens Al, from!uwait where I lived for 7 years, I had 3 of my four babies there all with the same dr. S ow I find myself pregnant again and I don't know how to find a good care provider. I don't know anyone in the area. I have BCBS and their website has a list, but I can't tell which one is good based off that. I want one who is as natural as a possible and uses the least intervention. I am not willing to home birth, mostly because I don't feel comfortable with it. My labour are fast so I can't travel far like to Huntsville. So where do I go to look?

Advertisement

Jamie, mama to DS-Daniel- 04-06-2005, DS- Michael- 06-16-2007(my birthday present!), DS-Samuel-12-13-2009, DD Abigail- 01-02-2012 baby #5 due October 1, 2013
mommy2boys2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

I picked my last doc because I wanted a NCB/VBAC friendly doc. There were like 3 in our city at the time, and a friend had used one doc for her VBAC. He was great, but I only saw him until 31weeks or so.

He moved and transferred me to a very not NCB/VBAC friendly doc. I read local ICAN forums, and got a recommendation from a doula on the site for my current doc, who is my favorite of the 5 OBGYNs I've seen over the last 10+ years. <3 him!

I'd see if there is a natural mommy group in your area, or get in touch with some doulas to get an idea of who is truly supportive once you are in the hospital/birth center/etc.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you find a Dr or midwife?

word of mouth i find is best but you could also go to birthpartners.com
Old 01-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Look for where you want to give birth and go from there. That is how I was always taught.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
august6
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've never been to any OB's in NC either, so I went to the health dept and asked them to give me a list of all the providers. They had sheets seperated into categories based on where the Dr's delivered and who had midwives. It was SUCH a relief. Then I looked at their reviews online and their websites and made my decision that way. My Dr is an expert witness for the courts around here, so I feel like he was a good decision. Just call down to the HD and see what they say. I bet they have tons of lists!
august6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
In your case I would try to calling the local LLL grouo to see if they have a recommendation based on your desires.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Maybe find a doula or birth educator who would be willing to give suggestions? I found my first OB through a doula. I found my current (I moved) OB through a lamaze instructor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymama View Post
In your case I would try to calling the local LLL grouo to see if they have a recommendation based on your desires.
My old LLL leaders would never give this kind of advice, citing it as against policy to discuss any specifics about doctors, but I have encountered several women who attend a meeting or two just to get the lay of the land and ask about things like doctors from the members themselves.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep. I agree with pps to find a natural birthing/parenting group in your area and get recommendations from the group leaders/doulas. That is what I did being new here and found an amazing OB. Good luck!