Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
Honeybee1999
Registered Users

If you had $200-$300 to spend on a machine...

Would you upgrade your basic, cheapie Walmart Singer sewing machine, or buy the Brother 1034D serger? I am still a beginner sewer, but want to get better at it and start making lots of things, from apparel to home decor to quilts, etc. I keep hearing that having a serger makes sewing so much easier. My sewing machine works fine most of the time for the things I currently use it for. It does jam up sometimes, but I think at least half of the time that has been user error. I really only use about four different stitches. But that doesn't mean eventually I won't want to use more, right?

What would you do?

Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
charirosey
Registered Users
seller

$200-$300 won't get you much of an upgrade sewing machine so I would def get the serger. I have the same serger an love it. I sew a lot and having the server makes many projects easier and more professional looking. Practice like crazy when you get it, there is a bit of a learning curve but doesn't take long. Enjoy!!
charirosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
ButtRpies
Registered Users
Formerly: rjwinner
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you had $200-$300 to spend on a machine...

I second that you won't get much bang for your buck on a sewing machine for that amount. I wiuld get a serger.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is a good thread...I am debating between getting a 50mm 1.4 lens for my camera, or a serger/new machine.

I have two hobbies and I can't give one up, which is really difficult. haha. I can't afford two expensive hobbies!

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree $200 will still just buy you a "cheapie Walmart" or other store sewing machine. A serger is a very useful tool to have and can make many projects go faster and remove the need for the sewing machine for some items.

I would wait to buy a new sewing machine until you can get one from a dealer or a dealer grade one. A good machine is worth it. In the meantime after you get your serger check your local craigslist for sewing machines(also search by the good brand names) sometimes you will come up with very good deals. I just picked up a Janome cover stitch machine that sold new for about $1000 for $200, from a women who is retired and selling her house to downsize and had many machines. http://sewing.patternreview.com/ is a good source for checking on machines.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Rockinmama24
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyLyssa
This is a good thread...I am debating between getting a 50mm 1.4 lens for my camera, or a serger/new machine.

I have two hobbies and I can't give one up, which is really difficult. haha. I can't afford two expensive hobbies!
If your machine does it job then get the lens! I use my 50mm the most. I have way too many expensive hobbies. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmama24 View Post
If your machine does it job then get the lens! I use my 50mm the most. I have way too many expensive hobbies. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I have the two kit lenses, and then this summer I got me the 35mm 1.8, and I am in love, I never touch the other two any more. I think the only reason I am really even debating is I do far less photography in the snow/cold...I get so scared it is going to snow on my camera and I am going to break it, tat I just only use indoor, and I prefer outdoor so much more. (our house has very few windows and crummy lighting)

But, a serger sounds so tempting, too. Although, I like hemming..I find the ironing and double stitching to be quite relaxing. haha. So far, I have only done smaller projects though.

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would also buy a serger, because I drool over that one at Walmart all the time!
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
ForevergreenOrganics
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I need a serger so bad! Hehe
ForevergreenOrganics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Honeybee1999
Registered Users

Haha so I see an overwhelming majority say get the serger. Good to know! I will get the serger and start looking for an upgrade to my sewing machine through cl. Thanks for the opinions!