Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
fawnanddoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Goat pen suggestions!

Hi all! I'm looking to get a couple of goats soon (hopefully some Nigerian Dwarf goats) and I am trying to find some ideas for goat pens to build. I saw something at one point that had some stairs and a little deck they could climb up onto.
Just looking for some good links or plans for goat pens. Or photos of your pens so I can get some ideas! Thank you!

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Goat pen suggestions!

I used a 5ft welded wire fence for nigerians and it worked great. I'll try to get some pics later.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
okiemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We use cattle panels and tee posts
Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
kellyzaney
Registered Users

We raised goats from when I was 2 until....well....we still have a few. Anyway.

Any kind of fencing will work besides a barbed wire fence. As long as the gaps aren't too big. You want to try to get fencing with gaps that are small or large enough that they won't really get their heads stuck. And make sure you de-horn babies. Horns are a pain in the buns.

We used a piece of plywood with little strips of boards nailed on for "cleats" leaned up against a crate, box, or stack of brick or concrete blocks to build little mountains for them. Just make sure the mountain isn't so big they can jump out of the pen. That happened a few times to us. LOL.

When we were showing goats we put the feeders at the top of a ramp so they had to stretch and balance to eat. The best part of that was the insane amount of poo that collected at the bottom of the ramp. Goat poop makes THE BEST fertilizer. Hands down. It breaks down easier than anything else.

PM me if you have any questions.
kellyzaney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have Nigerian Dwarf Goats. I use cattle panels, t posts, and line the bottom with chicken wire because my 6 month old doeling can still squeeze through so babies would be able to as well. lol.

We have a big boulder for them to climb. Bonus to that is that it keeps their hooves worn down so that I don't have to trim them as often, which the goats are happy about. I have an old cable spool in there too.

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyana4969 View Post
I used a 5ft welded wire fence for nigerians and it worked great. I'll try to get some pics later.
This is what we have as well. With a piece of barb wire running along the top (when they want to our pygmy's can jump the fence) - especially our little one - he looks like a little deer. LOL DH put decorative split rail fence all the way around the outside so it looks prettier. It is just decorative. But I wanted to fancy it up because it is in the middle of my yard. The first picture is actually of a tree that fell all the way across the yard - not the fence. Added a second to see the tree.

We have a kids' old play fort (a caboose on wheels) that is their little "house". We have our burn pile in that part of the pasture and they love to climb anything that is built up on there.

Their feeding thing:

Last edited by fish3737; 01-26-2013 at 10:56 PM.
fish3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
fawnanddoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for all the replies, and photos! I just logged on after a little while so I am gonna read everything now!