Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2013, 01:44 AM   #11
maddies.mom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tell me about coconut oil

looove coconut oil. as above ppl mentioned, I use it on my prego belly daily for moisturizer, on face, in hair (both mine and my dd - we are curly haired)... in the kitchen for cooking, baking, throwing it in smoothies, my dd will eat it right off the spoon! I get mine from tropical traditions for the edible stuff... and I have a jar of cheapy stuff upstairs for skin/hair.
can't say I can add to the intercourse part for uses... never even thought of it actually! interesting!

Advertisement

maddies.mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
MamaBearof4
Registered Users

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the suggestions. Is it easy to separate out into separate containers if I bought a big tub of it or is it better to buy separate small sizes? I love the smell of coconut, but does it give a strong coconut flavor when used in food?
MamaBearof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBearof4
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the suggestions. Is it easy to separate out into separate containers if I bought a big tub of it or is it better to buy separate small sizes? I love the smell of coconut, but does it give a strong coconut flavor when used in food?
It's not strong, but it is present. However, you can get expeller pressed, and it's totally tasteless, if you don't want the coconut flavor in something. Yes, it's easy to portion out into smaller containers. It has a melting point of 73 degrees, so it's pretty solid in my house. I just scoop it out with a spoon.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
ekesqueaky
Registered Users

Lightbulb Re: Tell me about coconut oil

I use Nature's Way Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. So far I really only use it on DD's diaper area to prevent rashes. It smells delicious - like Samoa Girl Scout cookies, LOL. My Kroger carries it in the natural foods section. The lube suggestion is brilliant! I'd much rather use it than any other cooking oils while TTC. Not sure why it didn't occur to me!
ekesqueaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
athousandwords
Registered Users

My Mood:

So coconut oil works well on cloth-diapered bums? Does it leave any residue or smell or does your average detergent get it all out?
athousandwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #16
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandwords
So coconut oil works well on cloth-diapered bums? Does it leave any residue or smell or does your average detergent get it all out?
It works great with cloth! Comes right out in the hot wash. I've never had any problem with residue or smell.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #17
Annedee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoproverbs31 View Post
Really?? It's safe for intercourse?? Using a food grade item always kind of freaked me out. I've also hear olive oil but again...yuck.
You WANT it to be food grade. It is absorbed through your skin and enters your bloodstream, just the same as if it were to pass through your stomach into your bloodstream.

I put it in the folds of my LOs neck, under her arms, and in the folds between her legs, as well as on her bum. Red, irritated, skin that doesn't get enough air will absorb it all up in no time. You can't put too much on IMO.
Annedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #18
mollyj931
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was planning on getting some for diaper rash, but didn't know about all the other uses, so thanks!!
Old 02-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #19
Zipfelmuetze
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use it for cooking, smoothies, on my skin (also as sun screen) and am planning on using it for diaper rash when my kid is born. I get the Trader Joe's jar.
Zipfelmuetze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:38 AM   #20
Aalt
Registered Users

I like Dr. Bronner's brand. I get it from Amazon. My favorite use is on my children's faces, especially dry cheeks.

To keep small amounts around the house, I scoop some into glass baby food jars.
Aalt is offline   Reply With Quote