Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I mixed 1/3 ounce of organic formula in 3 ounces of breast milk today, she drank it as usual. One hour after that she began vomiting milk and then green liquid. It is the second time I gave her formula. The first time was one month ago and she vomited the whole thing too. I thought she drank too quickly but I guess I was wrong. This has to do with formula. Now she is exhausted and I have to hold her in my arms so she doesn't choke because she still has stomach cramps from time to time.
She is 5mo.

Advertisement

firststella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Could this be lactose intolerance?

We are dealing with milk protein allergies in this house and from what I read, this could be how it presents. Milk protein isn't lactose though, it is whey and casin. If you need to try formula for your child, you can try soy (though you may have the same problem) or a formula like Alimentum. My son is on Alimentum because I am against giving soy to young children.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
rchamberlain
Registered Users
seller

My son was sensitive to the milk proteins, and I EBF for 16 months and just cut dairy out of my diet. He is now 6 and just diagnosed with lactose intolerance, but as infants it's usually a protein sensitivity.

The formula can get very expensive, but I would try the milk-free ones and cut out all dairy for yourself and see if it improves. It took me about 2 weeks to see any improvement in him (he had bloody stool and eczema)
I love my Jesus
rchamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
rchamberlain
Registered Users
seller

My son was sensitive to the milk proteins, and I EBF for 16 months and just cut dairy out of my diet. He is now 6 and just diagnosed with lactose intolerance, but as infants it's usually a protein sensitivity.

The formula can get very expensive, but I would try the milk-free ones and cut out all dairy for yourself and see if it improves. It took me about 2 weeks to see any improvement in him (he had bloody stool and eczema)
I love my Jesus
rchamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
My son turns 2 next month & still can't drink milk. He was failure to thrive until we put him on Elecare. His allergist gave it to him & he began gaining weight finally. He was almost 9 lbs at birth and barely 11 lbs at 6 mos. He drinks Elecare Jr now.

So, my suggestion is call your doctor, fight with your doctor etc. But don't do soy. Try Neutramigen or Alimentum first while waiting to see the doctor.

Jodie ~ Wife & Mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
We are dealing with milk protein allergies in this house and from what I read, this could be how it presents. Milk protein isn't lactose though, it is whey and casin. If you need to try formula for your child, you can try soy (though you may have the same problem) or a formula like Alimentum. My son is on Alimentum because I am against giving soy to young children.

Good luck!
Agreed - lactose intolerance causes excessive gas and gas pains, since the body lacks the enzyme needed to digest it. This sounds more like an allergy.

Most of the time, milk allergy is a reaction to casein rather than whey, so you could perhaps try a formula that only contains whey protein. You could also try soy, but it is more likely to cause constipation, and around half the babies who are allergic or intolerant to milk also have difficulty with soy formula.

If it is an intolerance/allergy to milk protein, you will notice a huge difference within 24 hours with Alimentum. But be warned - the stuff is not only expensive (about $28 for a small can of powdered formula), but it stinks to high heaven - smells like Cheese Nips crackers. It is also harder to blend, so you have to shake it like crazy or use a blending pitcher. Then it's full of air, so it might cause more issues with burping. For a trial to see if it works, I would buy the ready-to-feed. It doesn't smell quite as bad. Or check with your doctor. When DS had formula issues (intense gas and stomach pains), I called and they told me to come by and pick up a couple of bottles of Alimentum to try - they had full-sized sample bottles.

Last edited by Sha-nanagins; 10-24-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
firststella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thank u all!
I'll call my ped and ask her.
It is true that I drink at least two glasses of milk per day and one yoghurt. I'll have to cut out that.
firststella is offline   Reply With Quote