Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #31
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How much have you spent on cloth diapers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
Uhmmm..It's scary. I don't even want to say it! All I know is, I hit my $5,000 spending limit on paypal quite some time ago and I only use my pp account for fluff. I that was before I tried wool

ETA: In my defense, I re-coup quite a bit from selling a re-buying. So it's not that much totally OOP. I've never had a huge stash at once. I don't actually think I've ever even had more than 50 diapers, besides 1-2 months when DS1 was still in diapers and DS2 was born.
You might win the prize for the most spent!

What do you think you spent the most on?

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #32
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
No way I could guess. I'm one of "those moms" that spent $90 on 1 GoodMama back in the day. I have never had more than 60 diapers at one time but I stash churn like crazy.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #33
srw.mutter
Registered Users
seller
seller

At least $3000, including accessories and at least a few hundred dollars in wool. We mostly bought new. But, we have made some money back reselling, though.
srw.mutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #34
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My problem had been diaper making supplies ....since I like to make things :/. Without that probably less than $500 including some wool.
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #35
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
Uhmmm..It's scary. I don't even want to say it! All I know is, I hit my $5,000 spending limit on paypal quite some time ago and I only use my pp account for fluff. I that was before I tried wool

ETA: In my defense, I re-coup quite a bit from selling a re-buying. So it's not that much totally OOP. I've never had a huge stash at once. I don't actually think I've ever even had more than 50 diapers, besides 1-2 months when DS1 was still in diapers and DS2 was born.
You make me feel very thrifty.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #36
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I honestly can only estimate but it is about $3,000 I would say :/. But I sold quite a bit to help fund so I'm not sure how much I really spent. Honestly it is ridiculous and I saw how dumb wasting all that money on diapers was and stopped with DD2. I haven't bought diapers in a year and have been pleased with her simple stash. We've actually saved a lot of money with her thankfully.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #37
kirst
Registered Users
seller

I have spent $1,250 on diapers, wetbags, wipes, sprayer, cans, creams...I count everything. I keep a record and also record what I sell items for. Where I live, there are not the great couponing opportunities like in the US (where apparently you can double up coupons etc.) so the cheapest I have ever found disposables for is $0.20 each, on store sale and with manufacture's coupon. My son can not wear generics and is a heavy wetter so, if I do put him in sposies, they have to be overnight ones even during the day, or it's just pointless.

The biggest place where I have lost money is because I initially had a large stash of OS BG diapers which my son outgrew by 6 months. I ended up sizing up to cheaper pockets which will probably have zero resale value, but they work and they fit him great, and were cheap. I wish I had found them first before getting the BG pockets, but I didn't hear about them until I'd already been cloth diapering for awhile. I also bought some fitteds and wool, but have not gone crazy with wool (thank goodness).

I have now reached the point in my stash where everything works and I'm not going to be buying more. I have a little variety and I have reliable daycare diapers. I have some outgrown diapers to sell off, and a few larger seconds that I scooped and have saved in case my son has another growth spurt, or needs night diapers into his 3rd year. But I have officially hit that point where, if I stay with these diapers until he hits 24 months, then I will break even to what I would have spent on sposies. If it takes him until 2.5 yrs to PL, then I may save a little. I plan on using the Large Sandy's I already have as pull-ups for PL and selling dipes to fund other trainers, if needed.

But stick a fork in me, I am done because I'm already kind of sick of buying and selling diapers, and really wishing it didn't take so long to find something that works and fits, and a good night time solution. I feel like I've spent 100's of hours researching diapers and fibers and laundry methods, and I do find it interesting, but...I'm tired of it and happy to just have what I need to diaper my son reliably and get on with the day.

I do think that even if I hadn't cloth diapered, I probably would have wasted a ton of time and money trying different sposie brands to find what works for my son, as he has sensitive skin and seems to be hard to fit, and a supersoaker....so I don't think that's all time spent due to using cloth diapers. And I do enjoy it, and seeing all the pretty stash pictures, and I am strangely interested in other people's laundry dilemnas, but still. Enough!

Last edited by kirst; 01-26-2013 at 08:37 PM.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #38
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

I think we might be approaching the $1k mark, but that will be for 3 boys until potty training, and doesn't account for resale value, if any. It was definitely more than needed to be spent, but I had a lot of experimental splurges.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #39
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Wow! This thread has been a major surprise. Here I was thinking I had overspent...

Babe just turned 1 year, so here's the breakdown as best I can figure:
2 months diaper service: $160
probably 8 covers (others were gifted to us): $90
Snappis + cloth safe cream: $40
3 new pockets off amazon: $60
3 pail liners: $40
cloth wipes: $15
FSOT PayPal total: about $300

So around $700 In 12 months. Wow, that's actually better than I thought! My stash is in a pretty good place right now except for the snappis, which need to be replaced. I also have a stack of prefolds that won't fit my son for at least 6 months, maybe a year, plus about a dozen fitteds and pockets that are too large, so I don't need much for the future. And according to the online estimates I've still spent $200 less than if I used disposables for a year. Where's my husband? I need to show him this!

Last edited by Palooka; 01-26-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #40
mamaspice
Registered Users

Oh, a little here and a little there. I don't keep track so that I can feign innocence when asked.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote