Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
Registered Users
Re: Asthma or Reactive Airway Disease wisdom?

As a baby, everytime my son got a cold he was in the ER with oral steroids and neubulizer with albueteral. At 1 year old, the ped. put him on a steroid that is inhaled (less gets into the bloodstream than an oral steroid) once a day, twice if he got a cold. I had heard that a lot of kids outgrow RAD and so when he turned 2 years old (in the summer) I stopped giving him the once a day steroid (I really did not love that he was on it, but understood the obvious benefits. I did tell his Ped. we were going to experiment to see if he outgrew RAD yet). He got a cold and was fine. Then he got another and was fine. And he's gotten more colds and has handled them well!!!

I'm thankful it appears he has outgrown RAD at 2 years old. I'll hope the same for all of your lo's. I do still have the neubulizer and albueterol, incase I start seeing signs. With so many ER visits under our belts when he was a baby they gave me great advice to what to look for.

raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #12
Registered Users
My kids & I all have asthma and if they get sick, their asthma always flares. They also have flares during the change of season & when the temp changes outside.

Our ins offers 3 month supplies of meds that they can mail to you. We do that with asthma meds so we are ready when someone gets sick. We have a big stash of Pulmicort, the 2 strengths of Xopenex's nebulizer meds, Xopenex inhalers, Qvar's 2 strengths & Symbicort (my kids at home range from 3 to 13 so we have child & adult strength meds). For my 3 year old, Xopenex .63 (its a name brand of albuterol that has less side effects) and Pulmicort do the trick.
Mom to my girls ('94), ('99) & ('02)
And my little guy (12/09)
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote