Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
victoriagrace84
Registered Users

Any doula stories for your VBAC?

I am striving for a VBAC, and am considering in a doula but wondering about the expense. Anyone have any input about having or not having a doula?

Advertisement

victoriagrace84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
shan1212
Registered Users
seller

Re: Any doula stories for your VBAC?

Well, that's a tough one. It might be possible for you to find a doula who is doing her certification (mine had to attend six births before being certified as a doula) who will attend yours pro bono, but then you obviously will have a person with less experience.

I actually wound up with a doula for my VBAC because my friend was training to become one, and I thought, hey, I'm pregnant, she should attend my birth so she can count it towards her certification. I figured I would just sign up for the repeat c-section, but it would be good experience for her regardless. But as I met with her and actually had someone encouraging to think about my (fairly bad) first birth experience, and what I wanted in a second, I realized that I did want a vaginal delivery. And then as I learned more about episiotomy and c-section rates of different doctors, I realized that my provider made a difference too, so I switched to a more VBAC-friendly hospital.

I did have a VBAC, and I'm so glad I did, but I know that even if I'd had a repeat c-section, my doula would have been useful in advocating for me and being an extra set of hands if the baby and I were separated (with my first, the baby was kept from me in the nursery for a long time for no good reason). And she was very useful during the L&D -- I really needed someone to press this particular spot on my back!

I'd say that without my "doing my friend a favor" and allowing her to attend my birth, I'd almost certainly have had a repeat c-section. But, of course, if you go into birth confident in your desires and well educated, and you can't afford a doula, I don't think you should worry that not having a doula will work against you or anything. I think any friend or family member who is well versed in your wishes could be a good advocate and help for you.