Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Re: Age and fertility

so interesting, thanks for sharing ladies!

To the PP poster with the depo issues..yikes! I am not sure I want anymore kids, but if I did, I did not know the depo shot could affect fertility after...

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #22
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
We got off birth control when I was 27 or 28 and didn't conceive until 31.

But our fertility issues were male-related, which we knew due to testing.

Getting pregnant at 33 happened much more easily. Could be because things changed with him, could be because once you've been pregnant once, it's supposedly easier to get pregnant again, could have been a simple matter of timing.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #23
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I think some couples are just very fertile. But on the whole, yes, without a doubt, fertility decreases as you get older. I am 40 and I don't know anyone who has had a baby easily in the past 2-3 years.

Everyone I know still seemed to have very decent fertility between 30-35 but after that is when the fertility doc discussions became a regular event.

I got pregnant in 2 cycles when I was 31 and when I was 36 it took 18mos and 1 miscarriage.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #24
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE View Post
Newly expecting with #4 at 38. All of mine have been 29years +. DS2 took 10 cycles and I was 33. The other guys all took 1 or 2 cycles. I have friends still having unplanned babies in their 40s.
I was away this weekend at Brownie camp and all of us over 40 were laughing about how anyone who has a baby now is either horrified because it was an 'ooops' baby, or they paid a fertility doc $$$$ to make it happen. There doesn't seem to be an in between anymore!
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #25
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both my Grandmoms had babies at 42...(I am hoping to do the same LOL) and interestedly both my Grandmoms had babies after a 16 year gap from last baby to the newest baby... Both Grandmom's continued to be married to the same Grandpops during that time as well.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #26
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

My mom had two surprise pregnancies in her 40s. One because she left her IUD in 13 years. with the other she assumed she was safe due to age and scar tissue. She wasn't very sexually active, I don't think (very unhappy marriage). I don't think she went through menopause until mid fifties. All but one of us were unplanned, conceived from 16 to 42--all spread out.

My grandma had seven kids conceived from 17-38. The spacing grew in her 30s. Initially the kids were only 12-24 months apart. The last two were added after 5 year gaps. No idea what their sexual frequency was or if they tried to prevent.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #27
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

I believe it was true for me.

I got pregnant the first 2 times very quickly, like hey wanna get pregnant? Sure! We should try now then and wham pregnant the first month trying. I had DD1 when I was 30, DS1 when I was 32, I wasn't ready for more until I was 34. We tried for over a year without success and a miscarriage to show for it. We finally went to a RE and did fertility treatments for about 9 months with a couple of chemical pregnancies along the way, and got the added bonus of watching my FSH rise. I felt like hello body clock thanks for the slap in the face, although the rise could've been due to clomid as well which has been shown to raise FSH levels in the months following taking it. We went into one last hail mary cycle before IVF so we tried high dose follistim to see how I would react, ultimately like a rockstar thankfully with a super low FSH. I triggered on CD7 for an IUI on CD9 with 4 decent follies in play,got pg with DD2 and had her at 37. We started trying again when she was 1 in December 2008 deciding to forgo any fertility treatments at all and if it happened it happened. We tried every month from then on, in April 2010 I said enough is enough this will be the last month I will temp, take supplements, pee on every stick I see, and schedule sex. I had a couple of chemicals trying for #4 as well, gosh they are evil witches. Sure enough DS2 was on the way, and I had him when I was 40.

Based on my history I will encourage my girls to not wait until well in their 30's. It is a crazy rollercoaster I wouldn't wish on even the worst person.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene

Last edited by sojomisa; 01-28-2013 at 09:28 AM.
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #28
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

dp

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene

Last edited by sojomisa; 01-28-2013 at 09:29 AM.
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #29
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

I have never been on birth control, and I easily conceived DD1 & DD2 (within a month or two of trying with DD1, first time trying with DD2). I am now 32, about to turn 33 and we started TTC #3 when I was 31, and it took 13 cycles to become pregnant. So for me fertility has gone down the tubes as I age for sure!!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #30
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

I had DD & DS in my 20s. I had DD2 in my early 30s. I was celebate for years by choice until 11/09. I had DD3 in 12/10 at 39 (on oral BCP). I am delivering DS2 soon (EDD 2-25) and became pregnant less than 4 months after having my IUD removed. I am 41 and will be 42 in May.

So I guess for me, I have not really noticed a decrease. And I have had very easy pregnancies all 5 times. Even at 41, I still work FT, chase a 2 year old, get the almost 8 year old to activities etc.

I think there are definitely "average" that are biologically based, but there do also seem to be many individual differences as well.

Last edited by scwendy; 01-28-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: typo
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote