Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #11
Arizonah13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks mamas. I'll try cutting out dairy -any advice on that? Are there any dairy substitutes? And what about those viactive calcium chew things... Are those safe to take while breastfeeding?

Sent from my phone

Advertisement

Carolyn - Lucky wife to my sweetheart and even luckier mama to my sweet, long-awaited baby girls! (May 2011, my 9.15 lb c/s baby and November 2012, my little 7.10 lb vbac peanut). I'll never forget my three angels.
Arizonah13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #12
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonah13 View Post
Thanks mamas. I'll try cutting out dairy -any advice on that? Are there any dairy substitutes? And what about those viactive calcium chew things... Are those safe to take while breastfeeding?

Sent from my phone
There are tons of dairy substitutes. You can do coconut or almond milk. For butter thers is a vegan butter in a tub that is very yummy. Coconut milk yogurt is really good too.

If you are taking a prenatal vitamin and eating healthy (which you should be doing anyways). Then you do not need to add in an extra calcium supplement. If you really feel you need too find a low dose calcium supplement and add that to you vitamin intake.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #13
Bookchic
Registered Users

Sounds a lot like my little guy... But I was already dairy-free because of my own allergy, so I couldn't figure out what was going on. Ped said he may have acid reflux and prescribed Zantac. It was like night and day! She explained it as he was so hungry, so he nursed, but it hurt so he'd stop, and cry and spit up, etc. then he'd try again because he was still hungry. All day long with the latch, unlatch, screaming, crying. it was awful. Poor kiddo! The Zantac twice a day really helped him. Also, I never loved nursing. I have had moments when I felt good about it, but mostly it was sheer determination that it was best for him that kept me going thru the pain (that got better at 6-7 weeks!), and keeps me going thru the psycho sleep schedule (he still doesn't sleep thru the night at 9mos.) it gets better!
Bookchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
mozartswannabe
Registered Users
seller

Re: Not loving breastfeeding :(

I had the same problem and almost gave up nursing!Sometimes I would get so frustrated that I would had off DS and go pump so DH could bottle. Turned out if was gas and I wasn't burping him enough. I found that DS got fussy whenever I had beer. Around that time I was having a beer with dinner most nights and a few days after my pack ran out DS was fine. About a month later I went out with some friends and had a couple beers and the next couple of days we had the same problem.

I totally remember how frustrating it was so I feel your pain just try to remember that it's bc there's something wrong and it's not the baby's fault. If it gets to be too much pump some milk so someone else can handle a couple feedings and try tweaking your diet. I would also stop with the fenogreek if you don't have supply issues bc it sounds like it has only made things worse.
mozartswannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieandtheboys View Post
This is what my LO did and it was reflux. Like exactly what you described. I also cut out all dairy and it helped a ton with the spitting up
This exactly, except eliminating dairy didn't help. Both my girls have had to be on prevacid.