Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
erlyjo
User requested temporary ban
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm intrigued by woven wraps. I had a Moby with babe #3 and didn't like how it deformed and stretched out once he started getting heavier. I thought I needed something stretchier (don't ask me why I thought stretchier would be better!) so I tried a Sleepy wrap with my next babe. Did not like the stretchiness at all! It felt like she was going to fall out! How are woven wraps different? I looked into Girasols and was instantly overwhelmed by the different weaves and lengths. Do you use them the same as a Moby? I know how to do that wrap! Can someone recommend a good weave for a beginner like me? How do I know what length will be good? I'd really like a wrap for around the house, but I don't know where to start!

Advertisement

Last edited by erlyjo; 01-30-2013 at 04:48 PM.
erlyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
MCochran
Registered Users
seller

Re: Talk to me about wrapping

I just got 2 wraps one 100% cotton one 70%cotton/30%linen, the cotton is a didymos and was soft right out of the package, the natibaby linen blend is a bit stiffer and needs to be broken in. I found the cotton one to work great. I was in the same boat as you I loved my moby for my ds but after 15lbs I couldn't use it because it stretched out. Now my son is 21lbs and we have been enjoying out didymos wrap a ton.
MCochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Nachomama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Talk to me about wraps

If you pick a pattern that you love and go from there, you really can't go wrong. Different materials and weaves are very different from one another and, if you have lots of wraps, you'll find that some work better for different situations; if you only have one, you'll think it's dandy! Great all around, workhorse wraps, imo: Storchenwiege (Storch), Hoppediz (Hopp), BB Slen. You can wash and dry them, drag them around without worrying about snags or pulls, use them as a picnic blanket.

Something with linen will take more breaking in or hemp. Something with silk or wool will require gentle washing.

Yes, you can do the same carry at the Moby. It's a "pocket wrap cross carry". The most popular woven wrap front carry is very similar to that. It's called "front wrap cross carry". We have a tutorial on my babywearing group's blog (in sig).

As far as length, size 6 (4.6 m) is good for most. If you are fluffy, bust or quite tall, you might like a 7 (5.2m). If you are very petite, you can do a size 5 (4.2m).
Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
erlyjo
User requested temporary ban
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachomama
If you pick a pattern that you love and go from there, you really can't go wrong. Different materials and weaves are very different from one another and, if you have lots of wraps, you'll find that some work better for different situations; if you only have one, you'll think it's dandy! Great all around, workhorse wraps, imo: Storchenwiege (Storch), Hoppediz (Hopp), BB Slen. You can wash and dry them, drag them around without worrying about snags or pulls, use them as a picnic blanket.

Something with linen will take more breaking in or hemp. Something with silk or wool will require gentle washing.

Yes, you can do the same carry at the Moby. It's a "pocket wrap cross carry". The most popular woven wrap front carry is very similar to that. It's called "front wrap cross carry". We have a tutorial on my babywearing group's blog (in sig).

As far as length, size 6 (4.6 m) is good for most. If you are fluffy, bust or quite tall, you might like a 7 (5.2m). If you are very petite, you can do a size 5 (4.2m).
Thanks for the info!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Nachomama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Talk to me about wraps

Happy to help! I also encourage you to check out a babywearing group in your area as woven wraps are really an art and hands on tweaks can help so much! Here's a link to groups in CO http://wrapyourbaby.com/babywearinggroupscolorado.html