Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #11
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this right?

It sounds like you need to tighten up your rails. After you put the baby in, but before you do your front passes, pull tight on your top and bottom rail on both sides. You want the top rail of the first horizontal pass to be about even with the back of the baby's neck or top of the shoulders, and not over the head. Then the front crosses should go over the baby's shoulders, and not over the top of the head. Make sure your rails are tight, and they will hold the baby up in the right position. It needs to be tighter than you think it does.

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
MamaRachel
Registered Users
Formerly: *lsilver*
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxgirl View Post
Actually, the goal was a tummy to tummy FCC, but it ended up someplace between that and a cradle hold. Would FWCC be an easier place to start? I really don't quite know what I'm doing. I've read a lot, but my dd never let me wear her (she was almost 2 and very stubborn when I first got a wrap), so I have absolutely no experience. In the videos I watch, it all looks so easy, but the moment I try to copy, it is suddenly not quite so easy!!!
Yes I think a FWCC would be an easier carry to start with. The video mommaagain posted is a great FWCC tutorial (here it is again: ) and it shows legs out, which I think will help with your positioning as well. Once you get comfortable wrapping the FWCC then I think you'll have more luck with FCC.

ETA: watching this FCC video might help too- it shows legs out with a newborn:

Last edited by MamaRachel; 01-29-2013 at 10:36 PM.
MamaRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #13
tuxgirl
Registered Users

Going to try again today and do legs out. When I tried before, he was still at the point of not ever wanting to straighten his legs, but now that he's over a week old (wow... Almost 2 weeks!), I might have better luck trying a legs-out carry. Thanks!
tuxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
MamaRachel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Let us know how it goes!!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
tuxgirl
Registered Users

Okay. Tried with legs out, still messing with FCC (would like to learn it since its poppable). It worked out much better, although still not as supportive on my back as I'd like. That could be related to the wrap (Bali breeze) and the fact that it was all twisted funky in the back.

Here's a pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-483620281.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	133075

Any advice besides not twisting the wrap everywhere in the back? Does it look safe? (That's my biggest concern)
Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #16
MamaRachel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It looks pretty good- definitely safe!!

As far as your comfort goes, keeping it untwisted will really make a HUGE difference. The Breeze is plenty supportive as long as you wrap it carefully. I believe that colorway has 2 different colored rails. When you're starting to wrap pay attention to which rail is up (blue or gray) and make sure that it is always on top (or closest to your face for the shoulder passes) if it's not you'll know it's twisted.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
tuxgirl
Registered Users

Thanks!!! Slowly getting the hang of this. I'd love to get a storch, but I promised myself I'd get one if I used this wrap a bit first.

Ds keeps trying to push his head back, and I'm not sure if he has enough head/neck support. How do I make sure he gets the support he needs?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #18
MamaRachel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If he's pushing his head back intentionally he's probably trying to look around and I wouldn't worry too much.
If he's just kind of lolling you can tuck his head under either of the crosses.
I just found this video that shows FCC with a tiny baby (6 weeks) really well, it might help!