Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
So excited

I knew you friends would understand. DH is hopeless. I just got a shipment of Shea butter, sweet almond and castor oils, and vitamin E oils. I have a few of my necessary essential oils but plan on ordering more in the next few weeks. adding in my coconut oil, and I'm ready to start experimenting with face creams and oils! DH has no clue why I'm so excited!

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
Raspberry Kisses
Registered Users
seller

Re: So excited

LOVE making my own facial cleansers and lotions!!! Mountain Rose Herbs is a wonderful resource, BTW.

Happy experimenting!
Raspberry Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I get it ! I've been making deodorant for myself and am starting to make diaper rash sticks for friends. I'm using the oil cleansing method on and off, and I have created some of my own aromatherapeutic EO blends. I'm trying to be patient about the best use for them b/c I cannot afford anymore supplies than what is at hand.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Raspberry Kisses
Registered Users
seller

I make my own deodorant, too! But had to stop using it shortly after getting pregnant because my skin became super sensitive. I actually don't use anything at all right now and can go several days before I begin to stink!!! So weird - it's got to be a pregger thing.

What recipes do you use? Simply curious about your deodorant but would LOVE to learn about your diaper rash sticks!!!
Raspberry Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Deodorant: coconut oil, beeswax, naturally extracted baking soda (seems to cause less sensitivity than the boxed kind), french pressed zinc oxide, arrowroot, cocoa butter, castor oil, deodorizing, antibacterial, and astringent essential oil blends that I have devised to blend with sage oil (sage tea applications have been studied for their considerable sweat reduction abilities), and tamanu oil

I have been thinking of making the deodorant for sale but have some doubts about that. One is that it is very expensive to make to begin with. To make any sort of profit on it would make it a luxury item. Another is that I am a *hard* case when it comes to sweat and smell. This is a hard core deodorant, and as such it actually has so much deodorizing power that you can barely smell the generous quantities of the lovely aromatherapeutic blends I devised. And when you do sweat past its wicking point it feels distinctly sticky. So I just have to wonder if less sweaty people (people who are more average than myself) might prefer a deodorant that they can smell the EOs in better. And I have to wonder if they would like the feel of it or not. For me, it took about 12 expensive trial recipes before I hit the blend that was strong enough for me. And I still have to see how it performs in the summer. I am confident that I have a better product on my hands than other deodorants I have viewed on etsy, but I'm not sure how much of a market there is for a "better product" and whether or not most people in search of one such will just want to give up and use a clinical antiperspirant, since you simply can't make a thoroughly wicking natural deodorant. I am also not sure yet as to whether a homeade version without the beeswax (and therefore unshippable) might end up working better for me in the summer and for my potential customers. I've invested a lot of time and money into these trials, but the end result might be a public service announcement recipe rather than a product.

Diaper rash stick: These gals will provide my first trial of the sticks, as I do not have a LO in CDs. I'm not 110% sure yet if the sticks are CD safe b/c there are mixed reviews on using zinc oxide w/ CD (it seems to be ok but a bit less ok with microfleece CDs). Anyhow, those will also be organic coconut oil based with organic white (extra-filtered for minimum sensitivities) beeswax, zinc, arrowroot, organic cold-pressed sesame oil, vitamin E, organic olive oil, and 3x the tamanu oil of the deodorant recipe. I'm trying to avoid EOs there just b/c some tushies are sensitive, but from what I hear, lavender can be great for less sensitive tushes. Some moms can get away with just blending coconut oil with lavender.

Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
Old 01-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

ooohhh how fun! My sister and I make a hair and body butter with ingredients we buy locally and we really enjoy doing it. And of course using it! We use plain coconut oil for lots of things and I buy my deodorant from a local maker. Have fun!!
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sarah B, who wrote to me about the deodorant, you have exceeded your DS message storage limit and need to delete some .

Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberry Kisses View Post
LOVE making my own facial cleansers and lotions!!! Mountain Rose Herbs is a wonderful resource, BTW.

Happy experimenting!
Yes, I was on there today eying up dropper bottles!
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I got dropper bottles--more than I probably will ever need--quite cheaply on amazon.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mountain Rose is one of the best sites for concise info on any given oil you are considering, and then you can check longer articles and WebMD for any concerns and additional considerations.