Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
mommabullfrog
Registered Users

keeping baby/kid clothes for future children?

I've been minimizing our household belongings over the past several months, and have pretty much gotten our kitchen, living room, book collection, movies, closets, linens, etc. down to where I want them to be. I'm having trouble though, with baby stuff!
We just had our first, a four month old boy We KNOW that we want more kids, probably within the next year. In four months, he's already grown out of two totes full of baby clothes! At this rate, we'll have a dozen by the time he's a year old. I don't feel like we keep too much stuff for him; each size he wears we probably have 7 items of each "type" (sleepers, onesies, pants, socks). Of course, there are the randoms that also fit in there; swaddle sleep sacks he's grown out of, one or two "fancy" outfits for a wedding/church etc., plain white onesies for layering, hats, winter wear (this is winter in Michigan, so he has a newborn coat as well as a 0-3 month coat), out-of-season clothes that people didn't do the math for w/shower gifts etc. What do I keep? Babies are so expensive! I don't want to rebuy all of this stuff if we have a boy in a year, but it seems crazy. We're a new military family, so we'll be having to move it all twice in the next year. And if we're in a 4-season state, it might all be wrong anyway!
I guess... can you just help me wrap my head around it all? Haha... just tell me what to do, please. That's easiest

Advertisement

mommabullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: keeping baby/kid clothes for future children?

Get some vacuum bags, keep a bag of your favorites from each size
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
karaintx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
Get some vacuum bags, keep a bag of your favorites from each size
This!! I saved so much and it sits. Its so humid here and a lot has got moldy. So I keep favs and the rest go to another family
Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We save a few favorites from each size and hit garage sales when the next one comes. Depending on when they're born in relation to the other kids (and your weather), you may need to get different stuff anyway.
teacherpippi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherpippi View Post
We save a few favorites from each size and hit garage sales when the next one comes. Depending on when they're born in relation to the other kids (and your weather), you may need to get different stuff anyway.
This. I even had two babies born of the same gender and only ten days apart (in two different years) and the second one is waaaaay bigger than her sister was at that age. All the stuff I had saved for her second winter (now) was too small and the stuff saved for next summer will probablh be too big. I had to buy a brand new wardrobe for each of my kids anyway, because they were the wrong size in the wrong season. Coats and winter gear tends to be generously sized (and pricier) so I save those things, as well as church dresses because I tend to buy nicer ones. Oh and pajamas, since we don't do separate summer and winter pjs (just add blankets to the bed) so it doesn't matter which season fits the size.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
SarasynFox
Registered Users

My Mood:

I honestly tried saving stuff, but I realized that it was just too much of a hassle. We finally ended up getting rid of all but the favorites after my second son was born. We did the same after my third was born. Honestly, I'm glad I did. We were able to pick up enough stuff from friends, Freecycle, and a few new things. We've already given away most of the littlest guy's stuff, even though we're thinking about having one more. We just find it easier that way, especially since we tend to move a lot and don't have a lot of space to store things in our current place. When we have the next one, we're just going to go with thrift finds, gifts, donations, hand-me-downs from friends, so it just doesn't make sense to hang on to it all. Besides, it's better to see that stuff in use.

Another thought, do you have any friends who are having boys? Maybe you could set up a clothing swap, or find a bunch of moms to do a hand-me-down trade. You might be able to let someone else use the clothes and get them back when you know if you're having a boy. Then again, it might be a bit too inconvenient if you're moving out of state, but it can be done. It wouldn't be the first time families have mailed second-hand clothes because it's still cheaper (even after paying shipping) than buying new!
SarasynFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I get rid of clothing as soon as it is outgrown. More clothing is readily available at thrift stores or garage sales. My neice (3 years old)was in need of clothing recently. She only had a few pieces that fit her. The three kids born between my daughter and her were all boys. So very little was passed on to her. I was able to get her 7 shirts, 5 pairs of pants, 2 pjs, 2 dresses, 1 sweater, a shirt for my son, and a bib for my other neice(severe acid reflux baby full coverage bib needed) for $15 plus taxes. The brands weren't Wal-mart brands either. Gymboree, The Childrens Place, Disney, Carters, Gap, Old Navy, etc. No stains, tears, or fading. The under 12 months set is even easier to find cheap. Most people are overwhelmed with the quantity of clothing and just want to be rid of it. Not much sense saving when you know you will be moving at least twice before another baby arrives.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 01-27-2013 at 11:07 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I put baby stuff in bags and store them in the loft
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm incredibly picky about baby clothes, so I keep quite a bit. Probably a paper bag worth in each size. We aim for clothes that aren't too boyish or girlish, and don't have sayings on them. And since all of our things were freebies off CL or FC, it took lots of bags to get a set that is perfect for us. Since I do NOT want to have to find bags and bags of free baby clothes, we keep what we have because it's perfect. We're starting to outgrow the 18m size stuff, so I think we have about 4 or 5 paper bags worth of stuff in the attic.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #10
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I keep a few favorites and a few of the more worn items for play clothes (my kids like to get really really messy, lol). Even with that by the time people give us hand me downs and grandparents 'pick stuff up' we have way too much. Part of me honestly wants to ditch it all and buy like 8 pairs of solid color pants and 8 fun shirts and call it a day!! I get so sick of matching outfits (all those gymboree outfits with a million matching pieces are adorable, but such a pain!).
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote