Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #21
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: School me on Flats... Blank slate!!

I used flats exclusively for 3 months on my DS1 (20mth old at the time) while we were in Canada and fell in love. I bought them through a DS co-op but this was back in 2007. They're birdseye and I like to double them up and fold them origami. I'm using them now on my 2mth old, under original thirsties covers (smalls right now) and they fit well. I use a fleece liner in all my diapers. Once he's older, I'll try kite folding, too, but that's too bulky right now. I haven't tried pad folding, either.

I also have some ancient terry flats that my mum had kept after using them on me in 1980 lol. I LOVE those, but I only have 10 of them. They are still super absorbant even after being used as cleaning rags for years.

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
HappiMom
Registered Users
seller

Following
Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #23
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingRenee View Post
I used flats on my nb. I actually used and LOVED the gerber flats for the newbie stage. But smaller flats like osocozy or DR smalls would probably work just as well. Because I used such small flats like gerbers I didn't have to make them smaller. I used the kite fold and the neat fold with jelly rolled legs. Thirsties duo size 1 were my favorite covers after her stump fell off. Before then they rubbed it just a bit and I only used the nb proraps which were so tiny and had a great umbillical cut out.

When she was bigger, probably around 6 weeks and 10 or 11 lbs, I started using my LL flats which are a little bigger than osocozy or DR smalls. I think they are more equivalent to GMD smalls. I am still using them padfolded for my 9 month old and now using the Diaper Rite larges on her snappied on. Although I can still use my smaller LL flats snappied on her no problem, I just happened to already have larges and they work well.

Links for all flats I just mentioned:

Diaper Rite small and large:

http://www.diaperjunction.com/diaper...h-diapers.html (out of stock currently on smalls)

GMD small and large:

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/flat.htm

I did find it hard to have time to fold flats for the newbie stage. Gerber flats worked really well padfolded but for the itty bitty change a diaper every 30 minutes stage I used preemie pfs just for ease of use. I did do a flat every once in a while.

Pictures:

NB prorap over preemie pf before cord was completely off at 10 days old: about 9 and a half lbs.

In a gerber flat kite or neat fold can't remember which at almost 3 weeks old: 10 lbs:

Duo size 1 over it:

LL flat mini kite fold at almost 3 weeks old:

I hope all that helps!
I like that you mentioned gerber flats. I have thought for a while now they would be great on a nb. Yesterday I doubled them up folded to size padfolded a third, laid it in the first 2 and pinned them on my 19 month old son. He wore it overnight with no leaks. He is a light wetter but still I was impressed with them.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #24
Raspberry Kisses
Registered Users
seller

For those who use fleece liners for stay-dry purposes and to make diaper changes easier, do they work with EBF poo? Did you make them yourself or buy them? Could I make my own using fleece from JoAnn's? Will the dyed material be too harsh on a sensitive bum?
Raspberry Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #25
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberry Kisses View Post
For those who use fleece liners for stay-dry purposes and to make diaper changes easier, do they work with EBF poo? Did you make them yourself or buy them? Could I make my own using fleece from JoAnn's? Will the dyed material be too harsh on a sensitive bum?
I'm not sure on the ebf poo but cut liners from Joanns is what most use I think. As long as your little one doesn't have a fleece sensitivity you should be fine. The dyes shouldn't bother either. Fleece is a synthetic so it's made that color, not dyed that color since you can't dye synthetics. At least this is how I understand it.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #26
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a ton of snuggle flannel from Jo Ann's... would that work for flats? Or is that flannel too thin or not absorbent enough?

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #27
Nicolenutt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christylkeller View Post
I have a ton of snuggle flannel from Jo Ann's... would that work for flats? Or is that flannel too thin or not absorbent enough?
Flannel is perfect! That's what receiving blankets are. They are more absorbent than birdseye, but less so than the new $$ bamboo It would be perfect if you're going to make them for your newbie, b/c rbf's would be too bulky, imo, but if you made them smaller yourself......
Old 01-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #28
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolenutt View Post
Flannel is perfect! That's what receiving blankets are. They are more absorbent than birdseye, but less so than the new $$ bamboo It would be perfect if you're going to make them for your newbie, b/c rbf's would be too bulky, imo, but if you made them smaller yourself......
What size would you recommend for me to make them. And would it be best to serge the edges or just use pinking shears to cut and not get the fray. I would LOVE a way to use up this flannel. I made a few extra large receiving blankets that I am in love with, but still have a whole lotta fabric left. I used to work at Joann's and that did NOT help my paycheck at all!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #29
Pink84
Registered Users
seller

subbing for all the good information!
Pink84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #30
Raspberry Kisses
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolenutt View Post
Now I'm confused... I thought fleece was great to make liners and covers but not to use as flats because of it's wicking qualities??? Wouldn't there need to be a layer of cotton, bamboo, and/or hemp for wetness absorption?
Raspberry Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote